free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Get More Involved on Your Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

At the University of Rochester, it seems that getting involved isn’t too much of a big deal for most students. In fact, maybe there should be an article on how to be less involved on this campus (and therefore avoiding stressing out and running around like a crazy person). But there are a handful of people I know, on this campus and at others, who just always seem to be looking for something to do! So to get more involved you can try….

1. Pretty cliche, but join a club!

You hear this on every college tour ever, but most campuses seriously have SO many clubs dedicated to a variety of things. There are clubs for knitting, for mechanical engineering, social justice, writing, performing, etc. Someone is bound to find one that fits their fancy. And one of the great things about joining a club is – you can participate at your own pace. You don’t have to go to every event and meeting if you reaaaalllyyy don’t want to. But it could be good, if you’re looking for new friends and activities, to go to as much as you possibly can!

2. Get a job.

Seriously! Even better – get a job in the student union. This will guarantee you make new friends, while you’re dedicating yourself to something bigger. Even if you work at the sandwich or ice cream place, you can get the same customers who you can definitely become friends with. You even become friends with your fellow employees! This is most fun in the student union because you’re like one big happy family + you can have a cool job!

3. Speak up in seminar classes.

Not everyone will have seminar classes, but if you do, this could be your chance! The more you speak up, the more the professor will notice you, and then she/he could open various doors for you for jobs or research, etc. Speaking up can also help your social skills if you’re nervous about talking to new people. And speaking up in class can also make you some new friends with your classmates, which is cool because you guys already have something similar to talk about!

4. Run for class council.

This will definitely get anyone involved in campus life, no matter what school you go to. With class council, you can start small, as a representative, and then work your way up to possibly running for President! Not only will you meet the rest of the Student Council, but you get to meet so many other students as well! You get to put on events and make decisions about how student life could go. You may even get an inside look on how the school works on a higher level than just the students. If anything, you can have a great time while building up your resume credentials.

5. Go through sorority recruitment.

For many, this can be a daunting thought. It can be very intimidating to go and meet hundreds of girls, trying to put your best foot forward, and hoping to impress at least one of the chapters enough to get a bid. But even if you can’t see yourself being in a sorority, I’d say just give it a shot! You never know how much good you can get out of a sorority until you’re there. And at many schools, there should be a chapter for everyone. A sorority can give you the best of friends, connections in the work world, philanthropy experience, and so much more. And you get a ton of new friends throughout the whole Greek community!

No matter how you choose to go about getting more involved in your campus community, be sure to join things that are right for you. Don’t push yourself to the point of being overwhelmed, but definitely step out of your comfort zone, and you’ll be surprised at what you can do. As this school year comes to a close, think about what groups you would want to join for next year, and make a promise that you’ll try at least two new things!

Currently a Senior at the University of Rochester. I'm an English major, with a focus on media, editing, and publishing. I'm a sister of Phi Sigma Sigma, a member of College Feminists, and a Building Manager in Wilson Commons aka the greatest. In my free time (of which there is rarely any), I love to read, talk about/watch baseball, learn new things, and do fun things with my squad.