Career

3 Virtual Networking Platforms That You Should Be Using

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Our generation is a product of the digital age: we text, we snap, we Tik and we Tok, but when it comes to meeting new people, social anxiety can get the best of us. Followers are great, but social media definitely isn’t the ideal place to establish meaningful professional connections. Networking, also known as talking to people for the purpose of professional exploration and career development, can feel intimidating when you’re first trying it out. Fortunately, technology has our back once again.

Here are three online platforms that you can use to help you grow your network:

LinkedIn

If you’re in college and haven’t created a LinkedIn account yet, now is the perfect time to create one and set up a profile. To establish your online presence, you’re going to want to include a professional photo of yourself, details about your college education and degree program, work, research or internship experience, leadership positions, clubs or activities, relevant coursework, and awards. An easy way to think of it is as a digital resume that you can use to tell your story to potential connections and future employers. 

LinkedIn allows you to add and keep track of the people you have worked or collaborated with, University of Rochester students, family members and friends. You can even use the direct messaging feature to send networking notes and request informational interviews.

Handshake

As a University of Rochester student, you might already be aware of Handshake. It is widely used by the Greene Center for Career Education & Connections for posting events, linking students to career communities, and scheduling advising appointments. Handshake is primarily used for job and internship searching, but did you know that Handshake can also help you network?

Similar to LinkedIn, Handshake has a built-in direct messaging system that you can use to get in touch with recruiters at companies that interest you, as well as reach out to students at other universities who have similar career goals. 

Say you come across the profile of an undergraduate from XYZ University who has done an internship at a marketing firm that you are considering applying to— it’s easy to reach out to ask questions about their experience, gauge your potential interest in the position, and see if the opportunity would help you build essential skills and career competencies. It can also be helpful in determining whether or not you are going to get stuck doing coffee runs for the higher-ups…

The Meliora Collective

Did you know that UR has its own platform solely for growing your alumni network?

What sets The Meliora Collective apart is that it exclusively includes graduates from UR that have indicated an interest in mentoring students, answering questions, and setting up informational interviews. The platform has an extensive search engine that helps you connect with those who have completed the same or a similar degree program, who speak a particular language, who are first-generation grads, and who participated in common student organizations, sports teams or affinity groups. 

Just like LinkedIn and Handshake, you want to be sure to put your best foot forward when networking with others in your industry, so it’s best to keep your profile completed and up-to-date with your achievements.

All three of these online platforms have similar features — professional profile and direct messaging capabilities —that you can utilize when you’re beginning to talk to other people in your projected field. Hopefully by the end of your undergraduate years at UR, you will have established a solid network of professional connections who know your worth, your work ethic, your drive, and your career goals. And hey, you never know if one day they can help you get your foot in the door at the company of your dreams!

Grace is originally from Syracuse, NY, and studies at the University of Rochester, despite her overwhelming contempt for the cities' chilling winters. She is majoring in Film and Media Production with minors in Music and Audio & Music Engineering, and she spends a lot of time thinking about the sociopolitical responsibility of artists, career improvement, and how the world is often wack. Some of Grace's hobbies include consuming chocolate, collecting sticky notes, and over-analyzing movies and TV series.