Winter Quarter- OH MY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.
RIT is officially back in action with winter quarter. It seems to be the quarter that most students dread because of the snow, short cold nights and long walks across campus in the blistering cold. But all of winter quarter doesn’t have to be bad. In just three simple weeks we will be dashing off to vacations, family or friends’ homes and hopefully some place warm. This year RIT is giving you all three whole weeks of winter vacation, instead of the two quick weeks we once had. So girls, think of it as 15 days of your winter quarter and I bet it will fly by. Also on a positive note, the first three weeks of the quarter are always the easiest- but here are some helpful tips to get you though them:

1.Be ready: Depending on what year you are you may have an easy first day of classes or a difficult day. Some professors may just jump right into teaching and handing out assignments because they know they are short on time. Other professors may take it easy because they know it’s only three week and not enough time to shove material down your throats. Either way go to class this first week prepared.

2. Don’t skip: These three weeks are crucial. Plus it’s just 15 days and they will be probably be the warmest compared to when we return from break, so don’t skip. Go to all your classes.

3. Dress appropriately: Rochester weather is indecisive. We never really know whether it will be cold or warm. So dress accordingly because within seconds Rochester’s weather can turn around.

4. Enjoy yourself: During these three weeks that your back with your friends, just enjoy yourself. Some of you have never seen snow or hardly get to see it, so go outside when it snows and enjoy. For those of you who have grown up with snow and hate it, just stay inside with a warm cup of hot cocoa and watch all the other students play with the snow for the first time. I promise three weeks isn’t that long and then soon enough you will be back with your families and at the end of the break you will be wishing to come back to school.

Look at the winter quarter as a new start. If you didn’t do so well your fall quarter whether it was your first quarter of college or your last fall quarter just erase your slate and start clean. Go to all your classes, take more notes, study hard-but above all, just have fun.

Before you know it, it will be week 3 and you will be loading your car; boarding a plane, train or bus and taking off once more.

Look for my article next week on scary or funny turkey day stories. Please email me at aad4797@rit.edu with your scariest or funniest turkey day stories.

Jenna is an Advertising and Public Relations student at RIT, minoring in Marketing. She is a cupcake lover (although she loves how they look more than they taste), advocate of Breast Cancer education and awareness, sister of ZTA and assistant at RIT Sports Information. She loves wedding blogs, sailing, photography, bright colors, nail polish and a new pair of Sperry Top Siders. She has traveled to Spain, Israel, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Germany and Canada- with Spain and Israel being her favorites outside the U.S. Within the states, Jenna loves Rhode Island (especially the town of Watch Hill); Seattle, Washington; and Dallas, Texas. Although she is from the Garden State, Jenna hates the Jersey shore but does love to fist pump once in a while and hopes to move to Texas after graduation. With three PR internships as well as an advertising one under her belt, Jenna hopes to persue a career in either of these fields... or wedding planning, but she can keep dreaming.