This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

As the creator of undeniably amazing movies such as Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Baby Driver, and Hot Fuzz, one would be inclined to believe that Edgar Wright would be named amongst the best directors of his time. However, very few people even know his name and even fewer know that he has directed some of their favorite movies. Why is this the unfortunate truth for Mr. Wright?

Who is he?

Edgar Wright is from the UK, but his movies are widely popular in America. I think this is one of the reasons for his shortcomings. American fans do not feel as related to him and his personality in the way they may feel with directors from our home country. He also stays out of the public eye and does not seem to view himself as a celebrity, which makes it difficult for people to hear his name or see him as often.

Wright in the film industry

Whatever the reason, it is a crime that Edgar Wright’s name is not mentioned more amongst the general public. He is extremely innovative and talented; bringing a completely different perspective to film. He often incorporates music into his movies (as seen largely in Baby Driver) and has one of the most creative transition and editing styles in the industry today. His work crosses the boundaries of film and opens the door for people to follow in his footsteps.

Appreciate!

With his new movie, Last Night in Soho, coming out soon, this is the perfect time for viewers to become fans of Director Wright. So, take this opportunity to rewatch your favorite Edgar Wright films, follow his Instagram, and truly begin to appreciate all that he’s done in this industry.

Morrgan is a second year SOIS (School of Individualized Study) major at RIT. She has focuses in film, media, and journalism. She loves to write, watch movies, and listen to music.