This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

It’s already mid-April, which means Spring should be here! Although Rochester keeps tricking us with beautiful sunlight and breeze,  then it rains or snows the next day, we have to use those warm days to our advantage.  I know a lot of people look at the weather and have grand plans, only for it to be cold the next day. Thankfully the one thing Rochester has taught me this year  is to not plan, but simply  do it if I want to. So here are some suggestions I recommend to do to give you some ideas!

1. Picnic with your Friends

Imagine eating good food with good people around enjoying  the beautiful weather. Doesn’t that sound wonderful? If I’m going to be honest, I don’t know what else happiness is when it isn’t with good food or good people. But the weather just makes it  PERFECT. Find somewhere not busy or wide open so you can easily social distance and enjoy the time without a mask. I personally love bringing some board games to play so that we can step away from technology. 

2. Hiking or Walking

If you enjoy the outdoors, , consider going on a hike at a mountain or light walk in the woods or neighborhood.   Let your body get the sunlight it needs; Vitamin D is necessary for you.Take at least 15 – 30 minute to just step out from your apartment and walk around the neighborhood. There are also various national parks nearby that have beautiful trails with amazing views.  Get out there and listen to the sounds nature will bring!

3. Lake Ontario 

Coming from the South where the closest beach, lake, or river is 5 hours away, I find it wonderful that you only have to drive 30 minutes to get to a beach in Rochester. The beach gives you a whole different view and pleasure from the woods compared to on Campus! The calmness you can get from just staring at the lake with boats floating around, and the happiness you can feel from looking at people full of energy playing with a beach ball or running around can change your whole day.

Sue Kim

RIT '24

My name is Sue, 1st year at Advertising Photography major. I am highly interested in photography and animals.
Campus Coordinator for Rochester Institute of Technology