This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

We’ve all probably seen at least one Hallmark Christmas movie with the sappy romance and similar storyline–just with different people and places. Or maybe you realize, almost every book you read or show or movie you watch incorporates relationship and romance of some type. Well, college is no different. With my guarantee, you will eventually walk into a dining hall, coffee shop, study lounge, or some common area on campus and see a couple doing their thing (you know, the things couples do in public). Since every person is different, the types of romantic relationships you’ll encounter will be too. 

The Future Married Couple

These two have probably been together for as long as you’ve been on campus or longer. They never leave each other’s side, they might have already moved in together in an apartment off campus, and they seem inseparable. While they might seem obsessed with each other, they happen to compliment each other well and you can’t picture them with anyone else. 

The New Partner Every Other Week

There are people who seem to be in love with a new person every week. I admire that, because you fill your life with love, not hate.

The One Nightstand

They aren’t looking for anything serious and usually don’t want to get too emotionally involved. Which is okay! But if you are looking for a committed partner, perhaps this is not the type of relationship you want to be involved in. For people who don’t realize that this is what they are like, it can be an emotional heartache when they realize what they got themselves into.

The On and Off Again 

One week they are together and the next they hate each other’s guts, but then they make up later that day. It’s hard to keep track of this type of relationship because you never know if it is a thing or not. Sometimes you want to scream from the rooftops or give them articles about toxic relationships.

The “I’ve Never Been in a Relationship Before”

Going to a technical school, you see this all the time. Honestly I don’t blame them. If you’re not ready for a relationship or haven’t found someone who can compliment you well, don’t rush it. While waiting and being patient is hard, it can reward good things in the end.

Then There’s Always That One Person that Everyone Wants to Date

How even?! Do they have a sign on their back that says, “I’m single, date me.” It gets even better when that same person is already in a relationship. Should they wear a sign that says, “Sorry, taken”? What do they do that everyone flocks to them?? Tell me your secret, PLEASE!

Before: Bestfriends, Now: Lovers 

They became friends for a reason, now that friendship blossomed into something more. They could’ve met originally in college or they happened to be childhood friends who decided to follow similar paths. For some people, just the thought of dating their best friend freaks them out. I don’t blame them. And for others, it feels more comforting. 

Every relationship is different in their own special way. Obviously this is only some of the many types of relationships out there. Whether you are in a relationship now or prefer to take on the single-pringle-life, you do you. Don’t let anyone dictate your life and tell you how to love or not to love. Do what’s best for you.

I'm a creative writer at heart and love to write about my experiences around me! My only flaw about this, is I tend to procrastinate sitting down and writing it out!