Mud Tug XVII

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

Zeta Tau Alpha and Phi Kappa Psi hosted the seventeenth annual Mud Tug on September 22. Bringing in participants from all around the Rochester area, this Mud Tug became the largest in the history of the event. So large, that Guinness World Records came to mark the largest tug-of-war competition ever.

Over 1,600 people participated in the tug-of-war tournament. Teams of 10 fought over five large mud pits to claim the title of Mud Tug champions. There were three winning teams, one for each bracket (all-male, all-female, and co-ed). The winners of each bracket won tickets to see Fun. at RIT on November 3.

To participate in the event, each member of each team paid $5 beforehand or $8 the day of, raising over $10,000. The money raised at Mud Tug went to local Rochester organization, Hillside Family of Agencies. Hillside provides multiple services to help struggling children and families throughout Rochester.

This was the third year that the money raised at Mud Tug went to Hillside. In honor of the efforts made by Zeta Tau Alpha and Phi Kappa Psi, Mayor Thomas Richards officially declared September 22, 2012 to be “a day for mud tugging together for United Way and Hillside.”

Journalism major at RIT. Sister of Zeta Tau Alpha - Iota Psi.