This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

Valentine’s Day can often be more than a harmless day for couples to celebrate their love. For those who don’t have a significant other, February 14th can be a reminder of solitude, especially during a time like this when we’re inside more often than not. 

I’ve never had a significant other. I’ve never been asked to a school dance and I’ve never been taken on a date. For years, I’ve watched the people around me try and find their other halves, and this kind of love only seems to get stronger during February. I’ve watched roses and chocolates get sent to my friends by not-so-secret admirers. I’ve tried and tried, and yet I’ve never been able to find my match. 

So then begs the question: When will it be my turn? How long will I have to wait before I get what I deserve?

But here’s the thing: love isn’t strictly romantic. Sure, everyone says this! Everyone has friends who they love, everyone has family that they love. But the way that you and others show that love is so different, so unique, so important.

Everyone has their own love language, and mine, more often than not, is sending people memes. I’ll see a funny picture that reminds me of my friend and I’ll send it to them! Someone mentions a show that they like, and I’ll see something about it in an Instagram post later that week and tag them in it. I remember one of my friends from home telling me his favorite thing about me was how many TikTok videos I sent him over the course of a day (which was over 100, by the way).

Some people will go out and buy things for their friends and family. Some people love hugs and find comfort in the touch of others. Some people would rather have a night to themselves where they can curl up in bed and watch movies (self-love is love too!). 

If you’re anything like me, you blow your friend’s phones up with TikTok notifications. Love goes so much deeper than two people dating, and it’s shown in our actions towards each other.

Sure, it would be nice to have a partner! But I’m not going to rush and try to find someone to grant my dating desires for just one day. If your partner truly loves you, their love would last all year long, and it would be so much more fulfilling than one date on a cold February night.

So go ahead! Buy a big bag of chocolate and eat the entire bag yourself. Make cute heart-shaped cards for your friends and shout your love for them to the rooftops. Watch a sappy Hallmark movie with your mom and make fun of how predictable the storyline is. Recreate your childhood and have a Valentine’s Day party with your classmates.

Love is in the air, everyone! Make the most of it, and celebrate love in every form.

Hannah Hodgdon is a third-year Illustration major at Rochester Institute of Technology and the vice president of HerCampus RIT. She enjoys art, baking, and writing. In her free time, Hannah can be found drawing or watching YouTube.
Campus Coordinator for Rochester Institute of Technology