This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

Dear 2020,

You kicked our asses. But you also taught a lot. So this is my unexpected gratitude for you as I reflect on this year. Thank you for teaching me to love harder, hug tighter, and appreciate the ones around me more. You taught me to live in the moment, let go, and trust the process. You made me realize it was time to take a step back, breathe, and do some self-reflection. Your mandated stay-at-home orders made me appreciate the beauty and nature of my home more than I ever have. You may have taken away the music festivals I wanted to go to in the summer, but you gave me bonfires and endless beach days with my people. You may have ended my first year of college abruptly, but in turn, gave me a sophomore year of learning to make the best of it. Instead of nights at the club or parties, you gave me nights cozied up in apartments with friends. You invented zoom university, and it taught me self-discipline and hard work. Everything we thought was taken away from us was instead a lesson in disguise. So I thank you, and wish you well. Here’s to 2021 and a recovered mindset and world.

-Maggie

Hi! My name is Maggie Passamonte. I am from Long Island, NY. I have always enjoyed writing. I was the editor-in-chief of my school newspaper in high school. I absolutely loved it, and have been longing to find writing opportunities on campus. I was so thrilled when I was given the Her Campus opportunity. I am passionate about many topics such as music, politics, feminism, sorority life, philanthropy, sign language/Deaf culture (I am an ASL major!), the list goes on! I love being able to share my ideas and collaborate with my fellow peers. Happy reading!
Campus Coordinator for Rochester Institute of Technology