This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

Romantic relationships in college can be one of the hardest things to navigate. We are young, going from our familiarity to a different world. This different world can bring large social networks, including an increased dating pool of new people. To people who are single, this is exciting, and poses many new dating opportunities. However, to those who are doing long-distance relationships, this can be overwhelming, and a reminder of the person you are missing most.

For a year now, I have watched one of my good friends go through a military long-distance relationship. For most of my college time, I have only been in casual situations, with one official relationship that only lasted for part of the semester. I have since chosen to focus on my schooling, my sorority, and writing at Her Campus, while keeping my options open and enjoying the freedom I find in the single life. However, I have always wondered how my queen-of-a-friend was navigating this difficult situation. So, after a year of being in her circle, and a few FaceTime calls for this article, as well as watching her YouTube channel (@Emma Woerle; just a little shoutout!), I have gained knowledge that I think can help everyone on campus who may be in her situation.

Emma has always said that a long-distance relationship can be very telling of the situation that you are in. She says that if when you attend college, and you are feeling tempted to explore the new opportunities, then the current relationship you find yourself in is clearly not working anymore. However, if you truly love the person, it will be easier to control this difficult situation. 

Since finding in-person time with one another is difficult and limited, due to schedules and such, FaceTime will be your new best friend. Emma said that her and her boyfriend enjoyed the little things over FaceTime: eating a meal together, watching a movie through streaming parties, and having weekly “dates.” 

Emma also said that surrounding herself with her inner circle and girl-friends was key. This keeps her busy, and focuses on building emotional connections with her friends. She also said that it’s OK to go out and have fun, while still maintaining boundaries. Emma shares that you don’t need to be over-exaggerating to people that you are in a relationship, but making it clear in a subtle way. In other words, if a person shows interest in you, casually mention your significant other.

Emma also has many more tips that are specific to military long-distance if you would like to check out her YouTube channel! Sorry not sorry for that shoutout, but it’s simply a must for me to hype my friends up. I have absolutely admired Emma’s strength through the difficulties of a long-distance relationship, while still trying to find herself in the real world. 

So whether or not you are single in college, just remember that college is all overwhelmingly new regardless. I hope this article helps in clearing up some things with one of the  complex parts of our lives that is young love.

Hi! My name is Maggie Passamonte. I am from Long Island, NY. I have always enjoyed writing. I was the editor-in-chief of my school newspaper in high school. I absolutely loved it, and have been longing to find writing opportunities on campus. I was so thrilled when I was given the Her Campus opportunity. I am passionate about many topics such as music, politics, feminism, sorority life, philanthropy, sign language/Deaf culture (I am an ASL major!), the list goes on! I love being able to share my ideas and collaborate with my fellow peers. Happy reading!