This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is COLA senator, Alexander Van Hook.

What is your Year and Major?

I am a second year in Liberal Arts Exploration (thinking of applying for Political Science.)

Where are you from?

Upper Black Eddy, PA

Why did you choose to come to RIT?

For several reasons. RIT has a very good academic reputation and very diverse. There is a Deaf/Hard of Hearing community and hearing community which is good for me. Also it is very welcoming and spirited here. They also provide excellent disability services. And the education level is challenging enough for me. Plus I already know some people here and some who are coming here.

What has been your favorite class so far?

So far of the two year, my favorite was “American Presidency,” with Dr. Joseph Forineri.

What is your favorite thing about RIT?

My two favorite things are the awesome diversity of population on-campus and of events. It’s never boring here. My second favorite thing is Student Government.

Where is your favorite eating spot on campus?

Originally, last year it was Gracie’s, but I realized the flavors aren’t that good so my favorite switched to Dinning Commons which was a bit better, and more deaf/HOH students go there. Recently, I started going to the Grille at Global Village. I can say that foods are better on the western side of campus than the eastern side.

What made you want to get involved with Student Government?

Since 7th grade, I have had a strong passion for leadership and helping the community. I also had experiences (representative on student council from 7th -11th grade, Junior and Senior Class President.) Last year I learned about SG and I eagerly applied for COLA senator election in the spring. I also wanted to be part of a group of students who have similar ambitions and I wanted to develop great friendships. I felt like I wanted to pay RIT back for the wonderful things it does for me.

What made you want to become COLA senator?

For this specific position I wanted to help improve how COLA does things. For example, last quarter, I had the COLA SAB ratify its first foundation constitution so it could function more smoothly and faster than before. This was to boost things up.

What are some of the things you’d like to accomplish both as COLA senator and at RIT in general?

As of now, I would like to accomplish leaving positive changes in the COLA community. For example, promote student- faculty relationships and promote increases in equality of access. I want to be able to be a memorable leader for helping the community. I also want to graduate with great academic standing. In other words, I want to leave with a good feeling that fulfilled my work here.

What is your favorite food?

Spagetti with meatballs, especially if they are cooked by my mother.

What is your favorite movie?

My favorite movie is “Avatar” by James Cameron. Second favorite is the “Avengers.”

What is your favorite color?

Sky blue and grass green.

What is your dream job?

My dream job is to be President of the United States of America.

What is something that very few people know about you?

One thing is that I have always wanted to be involved with a group of friends. I had struggled with that from 7th-12th grade but its different here at RIT and SG. I just love to be with people. Of course, I had some friends but how I am with the right, smart and mature people.  

Campus Coordinator for Rochester Institute of Technology