Writer’s Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
As I sat to write this column after a particularly tough week of four articles and a press release in addition to my usual workload, the white faux page of Microsoft Word seemed blank and taunting. From here a topic is born, writer’s block.

No matter your major from Accounting to Physics, there is some form of writing in your assignment. Sometimes the words do not come as smoothly as they should in your opinion.

Know the Material
When a journalist writes an article, they become a “mini-expert” on a particular topic. Do the same thing when you have to write. Knowing as much as you can about a subject makes the words flow a lot more smoothly.

Step Away
If that does not work or you’ve just spent 30 minutes staring at the blank monitor, take a break.  While you are consciously taking a break, unconsciously you continue to work on it as seen in Margaret Boden’s research on creativity.  That Eureka moment may happen as you wait for your latte, just make sure you record it somehow if you cannot return to working right away.

Deadlines
In my personal experience I have found that the greatest motivation of all is the deadline. Nothing gets those words out quicker than the realization that if they are not on paper soon, your grade will reflect that lack of inspiration. A little motivation does wonders.

How do you deal with writer’s block?

Sources:
Feature Writing Class Lecture
http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/courses/creative-systems/papers/maggie/nutshell.pdf

Jess Scanlon is a senior Journalism & Spanish double major at Rider University. However her real passion is writing.
A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.