What Kind of Eater R U?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.

Tired of staring at what those fifteen extra pounds has done to your body? Ready for a change? Perfect because we think with the new year and semester still fresh it’s time to refresh your life and get on the healthy bandwagon.

A monumental part of becoming healthy is changing your diet. Notice we did not say go on a diet. Eating healthy and putting adequate amounts of nutritious foods in your body is a lifestyle alteration, not something you should do for a couple of weeks or even months. You have to be committed to doing it for the rest of your life. That seems like a long time, but get this: it can be an even longer, and more fulfilling time, if you do it the healthy, conscious way. So, in order to find out how to alter your diet you must know what kind of eater you are. This has nothing to do if you’re a carnivore or herbivore. We mean how, what, when and why you’re eating.

I Can’t Resist
If you’re a compulsive eater you more than likely lack self-discipline and have low self-control. Put these together and you’ve got a recipe for unhealthiness. This means you also like to eat with your eyes instead of your stomach. You eat not because your stomach is sending “I’m hungry” messages to your brain, but solely because it’s there. Since you’re a visual eater, you more than likely give into cravings easily and temptations rarely make it past you. If you discipline yourself your self-control will get better. Discipline only comes with time, determination and patience.

Now You See It, Now You Don’t
If you’re a fast eater it’s more than likely that you eat more than you should most of the time. There’s a genius explanation for this: if you eat faster than your brain can process it, you don’t stop stuffing your mouth until either a.) there’s no more food to be eaten or b.) your stomach starts to feel so heavy that you’re wondering if you can even make it up out of your seat at the table. (Side note: this should not be a routine or frequent occurrence). Luckily, there’s plenty of solutions to this oh-so common problem. Of course there are many tricks out there like downing a glass of water mid-meal or munching on a protein-rich snack beforehand, but the real solution, and most long-term efficient, is to simply be conscious. We say simply because it is simple, but actually a very challenging to accomplish. Being aware of the rate of which you put food into your mouth is a habit that is more about training yourself than a natural capability. Take it one step at a time. The next time you’re eating with a friend or group and you see that you’re the leader of the pack, sip your drink or excuse yourself to use the restroom to help you slow down. (Getting up from the table is our personal favorite because not only are you eliminating the possibility of relapsing, but walking it off helps encourage your digestive system and will help you feel fuller quicker.) It will take time and perseverance, but stick with it long enough and you’ll notice how slowing down will keep your figure more trim.

Just Can’t Stop
Do you usually eat past being full? Get up from your table in Daly’s and get a second (or third) plate even when you’re not hungry anymore? You could be other things, but if you’re guilty of this then you’re more than likely someone who suffers from portion control. That means you don’t really comprehend how much food you should be eating and once you start, it’s nearly impossible to stop. And like the compulsive eater, it is safe to assume that you too are a visual eater. Thing is you have to stop. The best way is to attack this is first, stop bringing your weaknesses into your room (or if you commute, your home). If it’s not there how can you eat it? Second, when you go to get snacks for watching a movie or TV or working on that ten-page research paper don’t take more than you truly need. Grab one. If you want more afterwards then get another. Don’t throw yourself under the bus before it even starts moving. Another way to control your portion control issue? Follow the 80% rule: only eat until you’re 80% full. That means you can probably fit the last three bites of that burger or two more forkfuls of pasta in, but you know that it won’t be worth it to stuff it in. Self control. Discipline. Lastly? Don’t linger in the diner or Cranberry’s or Daly’s if you know your weakness is when you see the food! When you’re done, politely leave if you’re hanging out with your crew and tell them you have something to do. When it comes to becoming healthier some selfishness is standard.

It Makes Me Feel Better
Emotional eating is the toughest to cure because it involves the psyche. Somehow, and at some point in your life, you associated food with healing powers. You probably go to the diner and order the worst things on the menu after getting that low grade on an exam or after that (stupid) huge fight with your boyfriend. Whatever the emotional issue is, the common denominator is that you’re stuffing your mouth to fill a void that can’t be filled with food. You’ve got to take psychological and mental health steps to revitalize and fix your emotional problems. It hurts, we know, but all you can do is ask for help. If no one answers, find the strength to help yourself. Trust us, the sooner the better because as long as you allow this to keep growing the roots are only going to spread wider and wider and the more difficult it will be to cut it down.

If you find that you fall into either of these categories don’t feel guilty or bad about yourself. It’s common to be accustomed to a poor diet because of ow fast-paced your life is as a college student. But it’s never too late to break a bad habit, or two or three, and it only takes ninety days! So don’t simply accept that you’re unhealthy and have a poor diet. Change it. Today. Just remember, it’s great, even encouraged, to indulge every once in a while, but eat to live and not the other way around.

A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.