Welcome Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
A special congrats and welcome to the newest Broncs at Rider University, the freshmen and transfer students1 It’s your first semester at an NJ private  college known for its academics, Basketball and Basketball…and Basketball. The odds are pretty good that you’re from NJ or a neighboring state. So as an underclassman, the following list has been put together for you.

Get involved.
Being involved at Rider (or any college) is good for morale, health, etc. At Rider there are literally hundreds of clubs ranging from the Chess Club to a Ping-Pong club so there’s something for everyone.

Upperclass Tip: Awareness Day is this Thursday, Septemeber 15th, so it’s a good chance to see if any clubs catch your eye. It is on the campus mall during Open Period.

Study, study…study!
College is a completely different level of work than high school, even if you took honots and AP classes. It is a good idea to schedule homework and study time to earn your spot on the Dean’s List.

Upperclass Tip: There are a variety of resources to faciliate academic needs from Moore Library to Tutoring Services.

Learn the area…
Rider is 10 minutes from Princeton, and directly between New York City and Philadelphia. A little time to explore these areas is a must and can be done on any budget. Princeton, in particular, is very cost effective because the campus shuttle goes there 6 days a week. Just note that it is a few blocks to the main street from Westminster campus.

Upperclass Tip: Princeton is a great area to explore on a date. The ivy-covered university buildings and the busy main street offer a great city vibe.

Jess Scanlon is a senior Journalism & Spanish double major at Rider University. However her real passion is writing.