This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.

This past weekend, I attended “Rider Relay”, an event of the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life here at Rider. I helped-out at the registration table for a short time and then attended the event as a participant. The experience is one that results in a lack of sleep and homework that still needed to be done for Monday afterwards. The question of why someone would do this is simple; sometimes a little pain in the short-term can produce a better outcome long-term.

No one likes cancer. It is a disease that leaves no one untouched.  There are victims, survivors and friends and family members of both. So a little sacrifice to end this disease, one of both my time and money seems reasonable if it brings an end to this illness.

To support a cause, any cause is a good idea. The example above is one of the many out there. This is a call to action to do something to better the world.  Our generation is one that is slowly coming into our own. It was the youth of Africa that started the revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt. What are the youth of the world’s richest and most generous country capable of doing?

To get involved is a wonderful thing because it enriches the world and oneself as well. Many of the religions and philosophies of the world preach this type of action over selfishness. Community service or participation in a cause is a way to act on this message. So what do you have to lose by getting involved?

Jess Scanlon is a senior Journalism & Spanish double major at Rider University. However her real passion is writing.
A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.