Senioritis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
As those of us who are seniors know well, this is the year where we transition from “college kids” to more adult roles, such as full-time employment in our field or graduate studies. However, senior year is also a time when senioritis kicks-in. It’s only October, yet some seniors, this writer included, are already humming “Pomp & Circumstance” in their heads. Recognizing the symptoms is merely the first step. Here are some other pitfalls to avoid.

Cutting Class
As a senior, your responsibilities are the same as previous years. Attend class as most professors do count attendance as a part of your grade. Also, considering the fact cold & flu season is soon, save your absences for when you need them in case the latest round of “dorm plague”, the variations of the common cold and other viruses that make their way across campus.

Distractions
The catch-all category of the column, distractions are anything that takes you away from schoolwork, job hunting, etc. A popular example would be Facebook; another would be video games. While this writer is not looking to bash social media or a little fun, they can very easily sidetrack you, so be careful.  

Procrastination
The earlier topic of distractions is intertwined with procrastination. Studying is a task that can very easily become tedious. The projects that tend to be due mid-to-late semester are not always what we would prefer to do.  Procrastination is a response many of us use to avoid working. Yet, it’s actually better for us to just get it done to get the work over with so that there are fewer late nights.

Socializing
While it’s true that no man (or woman) is an island, too much of a good thing can hurt your GPA. Time with friends is vital to our wellbeing, but too much time canhurt your grades. Like all else, this is a case of finding balance.

How do you avoid senioritis?

Jess Scanlon is a senior Journalism & Spanish double major at Rider University. However her real passion is writing.