Revolutionary Woman: Rebecca Lotito

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
Rebecca Lotito is the perfect example of a hard working college woman. A Division I athlete, a full time student, President of an organization, and a coach, she has achieved so much during her college years and now a senior, continues to do so.

Q: You are the captain of the field hockey team. What does that mean to you?

A:Being captain is not something I had set out to be. I am an “active” leader versus a “titled” leader. My coaches had felt that it was important to name me captain and that I deserved it. That moment is one I will never forget. To be recognized for your actions when you do not ask to is one of the most rewarding parts of being a leader. I do not mean that in a selfish way but more in a way that people notice hard working individuals and then expect them to do great things. It has pushed me more towards being a leader. Sometimes it seems somewhat glamorous to be involved and well known on campus, but, to be honest, a good amount of time it feels like a curse. There are days when I wish I had not become so involved but I know this is how my college experience was meant to be and I love it more and more, especially when it gets more challenging. 

Q: The role of the On Fire!! editor-in-chief is a monumental role. What would you say to someone who aspires to have that position in the future?

A: Being the editor-in-chief is definitely no stroll around campus. For someone who wants that position I would tell them you have to be ready to manage your time. It is a lot of planning and networking. You need to know who to talk to, where to get money from, how to schedule events, and who to schedule for events. More importantly, you need to be connected to the students. On Fire!! is for the students of Rider University. I would tell the next editor-in-chief to plan ahead. Have your events ready a semester in advance; that would just make everything so much easier. Also, you need to know how to get what you want. Every club on this campus is fighting for the same things; respect. You have to earn yours and fight to keep it. Even when you want to give up, you can’t. With every event and journal we produce I know that we are creating something special so it makes all of the stress and worries worth it. In the end, I always realize that there isn’t much to stress about; you just got to get your job done.

Q: You like being active and trying out new things, but what do you see yourself doing in the future?

A: This is a tough question because, honestly, I have no idea. I am over active! I love new things and I love to try out different disciplines and aspects of certain majors and career paths. I love psychology and I know that I would love to go to graduate school in California. I would love to study Eastern Medicine and Holistic psychology. But, I would also love to get an internship abroad and try out the non-profit world for a little bit. Overall, I know that no matter what I do I’ll be happy because my ultimate “career” goal is to help society. I love community development and creating healthier and happier lives for people. I’m pretty sure that will stay the same throughout my adult life; how I reach those goals will probably be ever-changing.

Q: What qualities do you think you have to have to be a good leader? 

A: I think one of my best qualities is that I love people. I love to talk to people and meet new people and I am always trying to reach out to others. My other two good “leadership” qualities would be that I hate to give up. I know when something is a lost cause but until that point I give it everything I have to offer. The second is that I truly care about what I do. If you are not passionate about what you are involved with then you can only be partially committed. I am the person I am today for many reasons but the most important was my mentor, Kenwin Nancoo. Over everything else, he taught me to be perseverant and that good comes to those who change and work diligently. I speak passionately about what he has done for me because he passed away this winter at the end of February. But, through that adversity, I have felt more inspired than ever to “begin” my life and to take charge.

Q: You are an active member of The Rebovich Institute for New Jersey Politics.Explain what this organization means to you.

A: I started with The Rebovich institute my sophomore year of college. I met Ben Dworkin through our teams mentor Cathy Carter-Romero. I joined because I wanted to be involved with the educational system because at that time my “goals” were to ultimately help reform education. My dreams of education have changed slightly and I am also less interested in politics, but I remain a “semi-active” member. I have stayed involved because Mr. Dworkin has been extremely helpful in terms of figuring things out. He has always been there to help me whenever I had a crisis about my career path or needed to talk. He has always understood where I was coming from. I feel that it is important to keep your friends close so I stay active in order to assist him and make his programs run more smoothly.

Q: Do you enjoy all of the organizations you’re involved in equally or do you have one in particular that you have a special passion for? 

A: My special passion is the academia part of this all. I love learning and I have become such a stronger person because of my studies. I absolutely love Global Studies and it opens up my mind to so many things. There is a lot to learn about the world as a whole and Global studies helped to open that door. Psychology is also important to me because it helps me to understand the individual. Psychology is so abstract and there is so much one can do with studying the discipline that it is perfect for me! I have free range to study and to think, and through my exploration I have learned not just about others, but about myself as well.

Q: What has been the most defining moment for you at Rider?

A: This answer is somewhat personal to me and holds a lot of emotion and pride. All through my career here at Rider I did not expect to graduate and I thought I would surely leave. I always tried to make the best of my college career but I could never quite find “the best”. There were many times I was so set on leaving that I began to pack my bags but a quick call to Kenwin and he would calmly suggest I should stay. He would tell me, “you have already gotten through half the sharks; just keep going.” To know that I am in my last year of college is the most rewarding feeling above them all. I have struggled and fought my way through college and now I will end up on the top. I am not just involved on campus, I am not just a leader, and I am not just happy; I will be ready for the rest of my life. My struggles here at Rider have helped to define me as an adult. I know what I am capable of accomplishing and I know that nothing can stand in my way.

Connect with our girl Rebecca online. Here’s her Facbook page.

A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.