Renaissance Man: Cyril Aaron Akita

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
Cyril Aaron Akita wants to be a Law Enforcement Officer, Detective, a Catastrophic Lawyer, and the World Cup Champion of paintball—yes, you read right! Here he dishes on why he loves paintball so much and why he thinks success is not about making money. 

What is the most rewarding part of being involved on campus?

The most rewarding part of being involved on campus is getting to know all of my peers. Rider University continuously strives to become a more diverse community. Being involved on campus really can open a lot of doors; as well help you learn new things about yourself.

When did you decide to become a leader on campus?
This year I wanted to get more involved going into my junior year, because college is moving fast. I was in the RAP program when I first came to Rider and I loved it. It really helped my transition into Rider. So, I sought to apply for the position to help incoming freshman with their transition into college life. Setting goals each academic year helps me plan. 

Who encourages you? What motivates you?
My encouragement and motivation in life comes from my parents. They have made sacrifices, but they have always guided me to a middle school, and college preparatory high school that offered a well rounded education with teachers who were truly dedicated to educate and guide students in their academic development. My parents always told me “just do your best”. Knowing that I give my all to my academics, and that I truly do the best that I can, has always been good enough for them. Their love, sense of humor and belief in me has allowed me to discover my own style and peace of mind.

You play paintball. What does that mean to you?  

Paintball! When people say that [paintball] I always get excited. It’s more than a game to me. It means a lot to me. I have been playing since I was about 13 years old. I was never really good at any other sport and I just loved it. Shooting people with out hurting them! Paintball has opened a lot of doors to me. I have been able to travel to many places where most people would not be going at the young age of 15. The memories I will always have with me will last a lifetime. My inspiration to play were my friends on Team L.I.F.T there like a family to me they motivate me! We practice every weekend to be the best and make it to the pros! Without it, I think that my college experience would be dull. I would probably be more confined to my room. College is the time to get involved, make mistakes and learn from them. Rider University is an institution where each student and every one can find a role on campus. 

What would you say to someone who aspires to find his or her position in the Lambda Pi Eta Honor society? 
I’m getting inducted April 12th into the Lambda Pi Eta Honor society. I’m looking forward to what the honor society has in store for me. If I could give advice to students trying to achieve the goal of getting into the honor society, I would say “work smart, not hard” Working smart means taking advantage in the classroom using your peers. Working hard is good but sometimes it’s not always the solution. Use the resources that Rider has to offer to achieve academically. I believe all students are capable of achieving in the classroom but they have to put the work in!

Do you see yourself as being a law enforcer one day?
Yes, the idea of being a law enforcer has always been intriguing to me. I came into Rider as a business major looking to do marketing. I wanted to sell stuff but I didn’t want to have a desk job. I want to help people and help the community. I feel that I have been blessed with two good healthy parents who worked for their son. Eventually it will be my time too! My second choice would to become a Lawyer. I have been thinking about this lately having discussion with people in my life. That believe I should aim higher and push myself.

You are an active member of Kappa Alpha Psi. Explain what this organization means to you. 
It means a lot to me in the short time I have been a part of it. When I am out of college it will probably mean a lot more. I wanted to become a member of this noble fraternity because of its goal, which is, “Achievement”. I believe that I achieve in everything that I do. I think it is important to continuing to be a member after college because of the brothers you will meet worldwide. I don’t believe the organization changed me as a person but it has added a new part to my life. I can take from it and give back or do nothing at all with it. 

What has been the most rewarding moment for you at Rider? 
Receiving a spot on the Dean’s List all of my four semesters of college has been my most rewarding moment so far. I thought college was going to be difficult but I over came my fears and really used the strategy’s I had learned from the RAP Program. 

What does success mean to you? 
Success is not all about making money. I believe that you become successful by achieving a common goal that you have made for yourself. May it be in the classroom, sports, or even the family by being the first to attend college. I believe that I live for what God has set out for me. But, I really do have to work to live that’s something we all have to do.

Be sure to connect with Cyril Aaron Akita on Facebook.
A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.