Rampant Obsession: : Being Cold + No sleep = Winter Coats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
When I was brainstorming what I should write this post on, I had pretty much settled on a topic; I even had a title: “Fall/Winter Fashion.”  I already knew what each paragraph was going to be about and the pictures I wanted to put in, all of which is huge for me. Anyone who knows me knows I’m not a big planner, I’m more of a “let’s see where this goes” type of person. So it’s not so surprising that one night I changed my mind. 

A couple of nights ago I couldn’t sleep, not even a couple of hours (which is weird because the two things I can always do are eat and sleep). Bored and completely awake I decided to do what any young adult would do in my situation, surf the internet (I know, who says “surf the internet” anymore?  This girl). As I stated in my last post, I still have to look for a winter coat to buy, so I decided to look at what a certain department store had to offer. Which led to another department store and another. When I ran out of department stores I moved on to regular stores. Which in turn led to me look at stores that had socks out of my $200 price range.

While I spent hours of my life looking at different coats and jackets with different prints, colors, and cuts, I’m going give you the extremely edited version, aka all the good stuff. In my opinion there are 5 main trends for coats: pop of color, simplistic, puffer, parka, and cape.

• Pop of Color: The coats in this category do exactly what the title says. The vibrant colors will bring a little bit of summer to those chilly winter days.

• Simplistic: I summed up two different types of coats in this one. The two trends, classic and pea coat, could be in their own categories but I think are better together. The trend also includes the color camel and all shades of it. All the coats have the common traits of being clean, simple, and modern.

• Puffers: An old standby with an extra emphasis on the waist and making sure the wearer doesn’t look like a big, fat, blob.

• Parkas: They’re for those that like a looser fit since they tend to be baggier. But collegiettes that still want some type of shape, don’t dismiss them just yet.  There are some out there made with drawstrings at the waist.

• Capes: This one by far is the most unique trend this season. The bold look is also seen in shirt and blouse seasons. For the more daring and fashion forward collegiettes this is definitely a must try.

There are also details that are pretty common this season: toggles (more for the look, less for the function), which is a very British thing, and fur (fake fur too for animal lovers). You probably think after spending hours looking for a coat I would have picked one, but I didn’t. And I probably won’t until I go to out to physically look for a coat, which I would be doing for a while. Oh wel…until next time.