A Judge in the Making: Keenan Bailey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
This sophomore has made his mark on the Rider campus by being completely active and setting a positive example for the many Rider Students to come. Read about his future plans, what he considers to be his most rewarding moment here at Rider and more.

You are a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon. What was your inspiration or motivation?
If I wasn’t a leader on campus I believe my college experience wouldn’t have been as good because the positions have opened up doors for me to further the experience. I also wouldn’t have been able to make the necessary connection with friends and administrators that have partially defined my experience thus far.

The role of O-Staff is a huge role. What would you say to someone who aspires to have that position in the future?
I would tell them to go for it and don’t look back! The role as an orientation leader was challenging, rigorous and tested my abilities. That’s why I would encourage them to go for it because I grew as a person and a professional. I was able to strengthen my weaknesses and take my strengths to the next level. The hardest part would have to be the time commitment. It required your focus and all your attention so that everything was done and done right. I’ve learned the important of being on time, taking the time to go that extra mile to help someone and stepping outside of your comfort zone.

We know you see yourself as a criminal court judge. How long has this been your goal?
I’ve wanted to be a criminal court judge since I was in the 8th grade. I want to help out the men and woman who would come into my courtroom versus judging them and sentencing them to a life that would only get harder. If someone was able to help them then I believe that crime rates would go down. I never really knew what it was that I wanted to do until I found out what legacy that I wanted to leave.

What qualities do you possess that you think will make you a good judge?  
I think I’m an honest person who is willing to help anyone. I am also someone who is reliable and a does whatever is needed 100%. I am also a fair person who would like to hear all three sides of the story; yours, mine and the truth. I am also the person who will humbly admit when they are wrong and is able to fix things I’ve messed up. I would say that Judge Mathis would have to be who I aspire to be like. He’s has all the right qualities to help the people who appear in front of them, he doesn’t prejudge and he is honest whether people like it or now.

You are an active Resident Advisor. Explain what this job means to you.
I always tell my residents that I am a resource for them to use no matter what the situation is. I am here for them when ever. I see myself as a leader in the residential dorms and also a person who sets the tone for my community of residents. At the same time I am also a rule enforcer who makes sure that rules aren’t broken. I joined because my R.A Maggie helped me the way I try to help my residents. It has made me more responsible

You are involved in many different things on campus. Do you enjoy all of them equally or do you have one in particular that you have a special passion for?
I would have to say that working as an orientation leader would be my favorite organization on campus because it gives me the chance to set the tone for student’s Rider experience. If they leave orientation zealous enough to want to join different clubs and organizations and make the best of their Rider experience then I feel I’ve done my job.

What is the most rewarding part of being involved on campus?
I think that that the most rewarding part of being involved on campus is the ability to know that I am giving back. I like the fact that I know that I was able to make someone’s experience here a little easier. I think I made the decision in when I applied for the Resident Advisor position. I was drawn to the fact that I could help someone. My mother and brother are my support. No matter what situation I may be in they are the best support system I could ever think of. My biggest motivation is setting a great example for my younger brother. Before I make a decision, I think to myself how he would view me and would I approve of him doing the same thing.

What has been the most rewarding moment for you at Rider?
The most rewarding moment was the day I found out that I got the R.A job. I was able to take what I learned working on campus to take it to another level. I was also good enough to impact others lives.

What does success mean to you?
Success means everything to me. It doesn’t have to be financial success or social status but when I know that I’ve made a difference in a life somewhere then I am successful. I will know it when my actions aren’t benefiting me but those around me. I live to work towards accomplishing my goal. I live to work towards leaving a positive legacy that helped someone or that impacted someone positively. I live to work towards not thinking about myself but putting other first. I live to work because I am a work in progress and I’m definitely working on that.

We’re not judges, but we’re banging our gravel because the defendant is guilty—of being incredibly inspiring. Stay connected with Keenan on Facebook
A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.