The Girl Who Has It: Michelle Figueiredo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
The Figueiredo Factor: Michelle has slowly worked her way to the top by dancing and being a leader. Her bubbly personality and drive for success truly make her one to remember. Here is how she has made her name known around Rider’s campus.

You’re involved in a lot on campus. What is the most rewarding part?
I get to meet a lot of different people and develop new friendships. I like to be involved in many different things because not only does it look good on my resume, but I enjoy being a well-rounded person. I have a lot of drive and ambition.

You are involved in two dance groups, Dance Ensemble and the Rider Dance Team, how much do these groups mean to you?
Dancing is a huge part of my life and being involved with dance on campus is very important to me, which is why I decided to join two different dance organizations on campus. If I weren’t involved with these two groups, I would probably be really bored. I have a lot of friends on the Team and in the Ensemble, and if I weren’t involved, I may not have ever met them. Rehearsals and practices are both time consuming; not to mention physically and mentally exhausting.  Regardless, it’s my main interest and I live for it.   

The role of International Student Mentor is a huge role. What would you say to someone who aspires to have that position in the future?
Being an International Student Mentor is a lot of fun. I would definitely have to say that it’s important to keep an open mind because it will maximize the experience. I feel that it’s beneficial to learn about different cultures because it simply makes for a more well rounded person. The hardest part of being a mentor was sometimes talking too fast for my mentee or using expressions my mentee was unfamiliar with. My mentee’s first language is Chinese and she is familiar with the English language, but there would sometimes be communication misunderstandings. Being a mentor allows you to share your insight of Rider and life to an international student, and learn about a culture that is different than your own…plus you gain a friend out of it. 

You see yourself pursuing a career in nursing or physical therapy. How long has this been your goal?
When I first came into college, I was undecided about my major and I only decided on nursing or physical therapy within the past few months. I never thought I would choose this type of career path. I have steered toward these career choices because I feel they are compatible with my love for dance; I could do PT or nursing on some days and still be able to teach dance. I feel that I would really enjoy nursing because I have a strong stomach and don’t feel sickened easily, and this career is completely gratifying. 

What qualities do you possess that you think will make you a good dance teacher?
I currently teach dance classes now and it’s a ton of fun. What I think aids in being a good dance teacher is knowing exactly what you are teaching; meaning being able to explain things well and knowing what you are talking about. Being able to demonstrate properly is really important too because everyone simply is a different learner. For myself, I am very visual and need to see how things look, or how they are supposed to look if I am doing something wrong.  With that said, some people need explanations on how to execute moves, which is why it is imperative to communicate well. When teaching a class, I feel it’s important to make eye contact with the students and make them feel comfortable. Teaching a dance class can be intimidating, and having a confident teacher is just beneficial for the class itself and the students. 

You are an active member of the Leadership Development Program. Explain what this organization means to you.
The Leadership Development Program (LDP) is such a great organization and I’m very happy to be a part of it. I needed to be interviewed, after which I got accepted, and now I need to attend workshops, take certain classes, and fulfill other requirements in order to graduate with a certificate of leadership on my diploma. This is important to me because when I become an adult in the professional world, this will help me stand out from my competitors, which gives me an advantage.

You are involved in several different things on campus. Do you enjoy all of them equally or do you have one in particular that you have a special passion for? 
I really do enjoy everything I am involved with, and each group is different in their own respect.  However, I think that it is obvious that I enjoy the Dance Ensemble and the Dance Team the most. Going to rehearsals and practices isn’t a chore, which makes being a member of these organizations much more enjoyable. 

What has been the most rewarding moment for you at Rider?
I’m not necessarily sure yet because I don’t really know if it has happened. I have learned a lot from the experiences that I have had, and in that way, they are all rewarding.

What does success mean to you?
To me, success is happiness. Success is achieving my dreams and enjoying every step of the way, and I don’t think there is a moment in time where you shift from non-success to success. I feel that I have it now because everything that has happened in my life regarding academics and dance is right where it should be. I love everything that I have been doing and am enjoying where life has led me thus far.

We adore Michelle. If you want more you can check her out on Facebook!
A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.