Every Woman: Be My Valentine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.

Valentine’s Day is here, and the majority of women have anticipated its arrival—but not all women.  Some women have a different view of Valentine’s Day—some argue that it’s a commercialized holiday and affection should be shown to your significant other everyday, NOT just on one designated day.  For example, I was watching an episode of the popular cartoon series “The Simpsons.”  If you’re not familiar with the show: there’s an idiotic husband named Homer, devoted wife named Marge, and three kids: the troublemaker Bart, the “know-it-all” Lisa, and clever baby Maggie.  This particular episode involved Marge giving Homer an out on Valentine’s Day—not to worry about buying a gift but to enjoy this day for himself—which sounds like every man’s dream, ONLY condition: he would have to show his affection on a daily basis.  Why is it a problem to show how much you love or care for someone on a daily basis?

Is it too much to ask to be shown love and affection on a daily basis?  I feel that women who are in relationships are more open to the idea of celebrating and participating in Valentine’s Day, but when a woman becomes single she hates Valentine’s Day—let alone referencing it.   It’s cliché to say that single women are bitter, but maybe they discovered the truth behind Valentine’s Day—you don’t need a significant other to celebrate.  You can have a healthy Valentine’s Day with close friends and loved ones.  I know my first Valentine’s Day in college I was completely depressed—my boyfriend of three years and I broke up earlier that month and I was distraught.  I couldn’t imagine how I would/could adjust to spending Valentine’s Day without my boyfriend but I managed.  It wasn’t my ideal Valentine’s Day but I had fun and I found strength in myself.  This Valentine’s Day I will spend with my close friends and probably watch sappy/funny Valentine’s Day movies.  Just because Valentine’s Day is typically shared between significant others, doesn’t mean it can’t be shared with friends.

I believe there’s nothing wrong with celebrating Valentine’s Day even if some people believe affection should be shown every day—I believe it should be shown every day, but it shouldn’t be frowned upon to shower someone with gifts and love on this day.  So this Valentine’s Day when you’re feeling lonely because you’re not in a relationship—DON’T, it’s not the end of the world, the holiday might be commercialized but the chocolate is discounted.  What matters about this holiday is that you spend it with loved ones and this includes close friends as well. 

How are you spending yours?

A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.