Deirdre “Buni” Williams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
If you think that one student can’t make a difference…think again! She’s the president of the history club, on the editorial staff of the On Fire!! Literary Journal, general board members of both the Gay-Straight Alliance and Black Student Union, and Organizational Affairs Team Leader of the Student Government Association yet her true life goals are to “travel the world and create art in my spare time.” Interesting, lady, huh? Yes, we think so and this is why we sat down with Deirdre Williams, who prefers the sobriquet, Buni.

How or when did you know you wanted to do what you want to do?
I still don’t have a clear picture of what I want in terms of a long-stage career. Yet, I have always been drawn to the arts, film, novels, and the like and I have always had a connection with East Asian elements. From the time I swore that I would never stop playing Barbie dolls, I promised myself that I would continue to create stories in whatever way I could. If I can’t create art then I would love to be in it. Performing, no matter to what degree, is a freeing experience that brings me joy. 

You’re in so many clubs and organizations, are you equally passionate about all of them or so one of them stand out above the rest?
Each club truly fulfills my every mood and temperament from the intellectual stimulation of History Club to the creative stimulation of On Fire!! Literary Journal. Yet in SGA, I have truly found a place where all of my passion is exercised. The joyous moments of togetherness and bonding that I experience in all of my organizations are truly felt when SGA puts on an event or when a meeting is filled with understanding. I am also able to exercise my leadership skills in situations that always test me. This organization has helped me growth as a person, bring me countless new friendships, and help me better understand my place in the world.

Why do you do so much?
I don’t know how to say no! I enjoy being involved and tapped into everything going on around campus. Being knowledgeable of things is empowering and makes me feel as if my simple contribution matters to the school. When I feel completely exhausted and stressed, I remember that everything I do is not about me. I am involved to improve the overall Rider experience for other students, not just myself.

How do you balance a grueling campus life with your life at home?
I simply take mandatory vacations once a week from everything. Usually on a Sunday, I ignore certain obligations that can wait, I put my phone on vibrate, and I relish in being in my pajamas while playing a game on my computer. Slowing the day down and making it completely about my mental health for a few hours puts my life back in focus. My hectic schedule never seems to stop my family. My family always lovingly calls me and sees me in those small vacation periods.

What has been the most rewarding moment for you at Rider?
Ironically, losing the 2010 SGA elections to the current Vice President Scott Phillips. It was during those tense moments as the results were being read that I had peace and complete confidence in myself. Even when my name was not called, I felt peace as if I had won a battle only I knew of. Through this election I found a love for public speaking and specifically, speaking my ideas to my peers. For the first time, I felt a passion for leadership that had nothing to do with my personality. I believed in myself.

You’re a graduating senior, what do you have to say to the folks who have two to three more years here?
I always tell people how much I loved my sophomore year and I wish I could do it again! Namely because I found an appreciation for Rider through experiencing all Rider had to offer. There isn’t a set plan or path for college, but everyone should find a way to make the school theirs. It doesn’t have to be joining a club or taking on leadership positions on campus. It should simply be experiencing Rider with open eyes and enjoying every moment as if it were made for you.

Outside of campus, you can connect with Buni on Facebook.

A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.