Charismatic Carleigh Brown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.

Car. Not the motor vehicle. Her sobriquet, one of the ways that people have shortened her name to make it easier to say, like when they’re cheering her on from the bleachers when she’s doing her thing out on the court in the Alumni gym. Carleigh Brown is 20, but it’s the number 22 that’s sewn into the back of her cranberry, gray and white jersey, the number people know her as too.

She’s a forward on the Women’s Basketball Team, a member of Lambda Pi Eta, the National Communication Association, and a former dancer. Read on as we discuss her busy life, where she sees herself 5-10 years from now and find out what her favorite moment has been here at Rider…if she has one.

We hear that before you were shining on the court you were moving your body to a different beat.
I started taking dance classes at a young age, around 3 or 4. I absolutely loved it. The music and being with my friends. I had classes every Tuesday night and always looked forward to going. We did numbers with songs from “Crocodile Rock” to “Space Jam.” I stopped around 7th grade because I had to choose between sports and dance.

So sports won?
I started playing basketball in an intramural league in my neighborhood around 4 or 5. My dad was a basketball player his whole life and I kind of just followed his footsteps. Growing up my mom constantly had me involved in sports. I always played basketball, soccer, and softball, depending on the time of the year.

Is it [basketball] everything that you hoped it would be?
Yes, and more. Although some people may look at basketball or any sport as just that, a sport. There is so much more to it. We are committed to each other and the school in a way that is difficult for any non-student-athlete to understand. Over the past two and a half years I have spent more time with my teammates and coaches than I have with my own family. These friendships and relationships have become a part of me that I will cherish forever.

Tell us about your favorite moment here at Rider.
This is a difficult one. I don’t know if I can limit it to one moment. I would have to say the experience of being part of the Women’s Basketball team all together.

Class, games, practice, social life…hot question is how do you manage it all?
Luckily I have been multitasking my whole life. Although the whole “social life” is something I, and any other student-athlete, doesn’t have much of. Managing class, games, and practice is something I am very used to. When I don’t have at least three things going on I don’t know what to do with myself. Free time is something that I am not used to and I can’t say I am really good at relaxing and doing nothing.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
[She screams] I can’t think of anything in particular. But I have always been told to be myself, and I think that works out pretty well for me. After growing up and becoming comfortable with who I am. I tried being what I thought other people wanted me to be but being my dorky, outgoing, and sometimes crazy self has always worked out best!

What’s your ultimate goal in life?
After college I hope to attend grad school at Rider. I am completing my under grad this year and have another year of my scholarship left. I hope to work as an Athletic Director at a college or work in the Public Relations or Marketing department at a company. I would love to get married and have my own family, but am in no rush. I want to do the things many other college students got to do like travel and vacation, two things I didn’t get to do during college. 

What do you hope people say about behind your back?
I hope they think I’m a nice person! When it comes down to it I really try hard to be as polite and genuine as I can. I try to be myself as much as possible and hope people like me for who I am.

Best part about…

Being a part of a team… the friendships and experience. 

Being a blonde… I have an excuse for being an “air-head” sometimes.

Being six feet… and blonde 1. You can’t miss me in a crowd & 2. Most people remember me (how many 6-foot-tall blondes do you meet?)

Being in college… the freedom!

Being Carleigh… I can entertain myself and can always see the big picture!

How can you not love her? Go support Carleigh and the women she’s made bonds with as strong as sisters and attend the remaining home basketball games of the season in the Alumni gym. 

A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.