Busy, Busy Bee: Danyelle Johnson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
Danyelle Johnson is a very hardworking student who makes her schoolwork, and everything that she is involved in, her first priority. Her drive for success and power is what makes this busy bee into someone to look up to as a role model. Here she dishes out on how she’s gotten to where she is.  

Q: What is the most rewarding part of being involved on campus?
A:Acknowledging that you’ve made a difference through inspiring others to be the best they can be by being a strong leader. I decided to become a leader on campus my freshman year when I applied for a position on the Orientation Staff. I knew I wanted to make my mark at Rider and ever since I’ve been on the Orientation Staff, I’ve been determined to do as much as possible to make my mark a permanent one.  I’ve always been encouraged by my family. I come from a very loving family who supports me in anything I do, therefore I am strongly motivated when it comes to achieving my goals to one day support a family of my own and give back to the ones who love me most, plus more.

Q: You are aFreshman Seminar Peer Mentor. What does that mean to you?
A:Being a Freshman Seminar Peer Mentor really opened my eyes to what I could do as a leader. When I took on this role I did it for the simple fact that I love to help others the best way I can, and by being a peer mentor I was able to share information about the college experience that I did not have as a freshman. To me this means a lot, because not only did I become a resource to many of my mentees, but I actually developed a better sense of who I was as a leader. If I hadn’t done a lot of the things to help me grow as leader, such as being a peer mentor, I would not have been able to say that my college experience is as rewarding as it is today.

Q: The role of Orientation Staffwas a huge role. What would you say to someone who aspires to have that position in the future?
A:Being on the Orientation Staff was an amazing experience and opportunity, so anyone who aspires to have this position in the future should go for it. Be yourself, get to know more about the campus, and you’ll be sure to be one of the lucky number 7. When you make it as part of the staff, just remember that not everyone is going to agree with all of your ideas, but as long as you keep an open mind, and remember that each person’s idea has its own unique value, everything will work out.

Q. You see yourselfbecoming part of a major design team for companies such as DreamWorks, BET, Apple, or owning your own graphic design firm.How long has this been your goal?
A. This has actually been a recent goal. Of course I’ve always loved watching films and dreamed of one day having something to do with television or technology, but for the longest I wanted to be an architect. What made me change my mind was my realization of talent I always had but never pursued. I began to read through all my old writings and look through my old works of art and other designs from back in high school and began to recognize what my gift is and that is writing and designing…just about anything. Thus, I came to the conclusion that I wanted to go into a huge business that really respected the creative mind and became inspired to work with people who loved the same kinds of things I love. I chose these companies in particular because they are well known, highly respected for their works, and they intertwine the elements of my craft, which are design, writing, and technology.

Q: What qualities do you possess that you think will make you a good graphic designer? 

A:I will make a good graphic designer because of my unique attention to detail when it comes to designing. I’m a perfectionist, some say it’s my biggest problem, I say it’s my biggest attribute.

Q: You are an active member of Study Tours. Explain what this organization means to you.
A:I am currently an active member of study tours because I am going to China next semester during spring break. However, over this past summer, I was a counselor of Study Tours in Florida. I first applied to study tours not knowing for sure if it would be for me because I’ve never been away from home for more than 2 weeks, and spending the entire summer in another state seemed to be a gigantic stretch. However, after this past summer I would recommend anyone to join study tours. It is an amazing experience. You get to meet all different kinds of people and learn a few different languages.

Q: What has been the most rewarding moment for you at Rider?
A:The most rewarding moment at Rider thus far was being accepted into the Leadership development Program earlier this month. To actually have a certificate when I graduate that I was a devoted leader at Rider really means a lot to me and lets me know that I am on the right track as far as accomplishing my educational goals as well as my career goals.

Q: Tell us, in a nutshell, what success is to you.
A:To me success means any amount of gratitude that you receive when you accomplish what you’ve either always wanted to accomplish, or when you accomplish something that makes you and your loved ones happy. Right now, I am in the process of attaining that happiness that won’t truly just come from money, but it will also come when I have completed school with a high level of degree and when I have done all I can do to change as many lives as I can. Monetary success as well as the success from helping other people may not come quickly, but as long as I keep a close relationship with God, stay determined, and follow in the right footsteps of other leaders, I will make it soon enough. I work to live and live to make others happy.

She’s as busy as a bee, but she’s a leader for a reason. Need to reach out to her? Want to connect with her? We got you covered. Here’s her Facebook page.
A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.