University of Richmond Profile — Liz Minder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Richmond chapter.

This week’s Her Campus profile features a wonderful adventurer — Liz Minder. Liz is involved in a lot here at UR. She is super involved in the theatre department. She is acting in the upcoming show “Godspell”, the public relations Chair for University Players, an Artist Scholar, and she is a member of Alpha Psi Omega, an honors theatre fraternity. Liz also majors in Theatre as well as Biology. She is also a member of Pi Beta Phi here on campus among many other things.

“I’m just here having an adventure., ” she said. 

However, Liz’s claim to fame is Camp Kesem. Camp Kesem is a camp that is run entirely by students here on campus for children who have been touched by a parent’s cancer. Not only is it a week long camp in the summertime, but Kesem works throughout the year to provide a support network for all of the children and families it welcomes. She described her role here on campus as primarily a student, but her second identity belongs to Kesem. She is currently a co-director of the organization, and it is the highest position one can hold as an undergraduate student at a Kesem chapter. By some stroke of luck, Liz found this organization by accident. She was going to watch her best friend sing at an event, but she wasn’t entirely sure what it is was. She walked into an event the organization hosts called Kesem Kick-Off, and from there she was hooked.

“Kesem found me at bad time. It gave me a goal, and it found a home for me,” she said.

Her position in Camp Kesem is fairly demanding, but she wouldn’t have it any other way.

“You know what they say, when you do what you love you don’t have to work a day in your life,”  Liz said.

Liz has a history of devoting herself to organizations like Camp Kesem. In high school, she was very involved with Make a Wish, and she was one of the individuals to help bring it to her high school’s campus. Her favorite thing to do off campus is volunteer as well.

“It’s such a huge part of my life,” she said.  

Her latest endeavour with volunteering is working with Youth Life at a local after-school program. She gets to spend sometime with second graders, and the best part  : attending recess is one of the things that she gets to do with the children. Liz Minder is one of the sweetest, selfless souls on campus, so be sure if you see this beautiful, smiling face to not be shy, for she loves getting to know new people and making new friends.