Must-Have Foods to Keep in Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Richmond chapter.

Although most of us get to enjoy having an unlimited meal plan, getting enough to eat can be a struggle when it’s late at night or when you’re running low on dining dollars. Here are some must have foods to keep in your dorm so that you won’t run into this problem at some point during the semester:

1. Ramen

Not necessarily the most nutritious thing to eat, but definitely one of the most affordable and easiest things to make, especially in a dorm where you only have access to a microwave for cooking. Plus, ramen really comes in handy when cold season starts.

2. Easy Mac

It’s called Easy Mac for a reason! This is a quick and easy way to satisfy that craving for mac & cheese that we all get at some point during the semester.

3. Granola Bars

These are perfect for 9 a.m. classes, pre-workout snacks or just when you’re craving something sweet but want something on the healthier side. Granola bars are great because you can take them with you anywhere, and even eat them as you’re rushing across campus.  

4. PB&J

Keeping the ingredients to make PB&J is always a smart move for several reasons. It’s extremely filling, quick to make and can actually be a good source of protein and carbohydrates if you’re counting macros.

5. Tea

At some point, you are probably going to catch some mysterious cold-like sickness. Be proactive and keep some tea in your room for those days when you’re just not feeling so well. Another thing that comes in handy on these days is…

6. Soup

It’s just good to be prepared for those days when all you want is some sleep, tissues, and chicken noodle soup.

I’ve learned from experience: it’s always good to keep snacks in your room! Even with an unlimited meal plan, you’ll be grateful for having some extra snacks in your dorm for those late nights or days when you’re sick and don’t feel like making a trip to d-hall!

Bri Park

Richmond