Four Alternative Ways to Help Harvey and Irma Victims

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Richmond chapter.

News of Hurricanes Irma and Harvey’s destruction in Texas and Florida have sent shock waves around the country. While you might not live near the affected areas, you might want to help victims without donating to a large organization. Here are four alternative ways to send aid: 

1. Donate to local organizations 

Local organizations, such as churches, have been housing and feeding hurricane victims in their community. Sending donations directly to specific and small locations will guarantee that your money will go right to helping victims. 

2. Use social media 

Your friends on social might be near affected areas and volunteering opportunities. Reach out to see if you can send donations for supplies that they might need for the cause they are working for. Again, this ensures that all of your money is going toward what is needed. 

3. Cash donations are key 

Rather than mailing physical supplies, cash is easier to send and is easier for volunteers and organizations to use. This way, you won’t be buying any materials that victims do not need. 

4. Crowd Funders 

If you’re feeling ambitious, start a crowd-funder for a certain local organization you see needs help! Starting with your own donation and sharing with friends and family is an awesome way to grow your donation and help more local people. 

Photo Credit: ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/houston-begins-assess-hurricane-harveys-trail-d…)