10 Things to do Instead of Dealing With FOMO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Richmond chapter.

A recent study was conducted to see the impact that Snapchat has on the mental health of those who use it. It was found that the use of the app increases feelings of loneliness. Researchers know that the use of Snapchat and other social media increases feelings of sadness and isolation. While the idea of FOMOing (fear of missing out) is prevalent among our generation, it is important to remember that taking time away from constantly checking social media is not only good for your social and mental state, but necessary to live a happy life. Social media is not everything. Here are 10 things to do instead of scrolling through your social media pages : 

1. Take a walk

Almost all college campuses are blooming and beautiful during this time of year. Leave your phone behind, and take a walk around the lake and enjoy your last few weeks on campus before summer!

2. Do laundry

Nothing feels better than clean sheets and an empty dirty clothes bag! You’ll feel super productive and spend some quality time off of your phone.

3. Go to the gym

Put your phone on airplane mode so you can listen to music and walk on the treadmill incline or cycle for 30 minutes! You’ll release endorphins and feel better after.

4. Watch Netflix

Even though you will still be looking at a screen, it is better to watch something that you feel you are a part of, rather than seeing Bob at a party in Cancun.

5. Drive or take a shuttle to downtown Richmond

It’s only 15 minutes away, and there are SO many cute, unexplored shops and restaurants downtown.

6. Read a book

When is the last time you had time to read a book you actually enjoyed? 6th grade right? Taking time away from your social media will give you more time to read one that isn’t for one of your classes!

7. Have a dance party while cleaning your room

I’ve seen what happens to rooms that don’t get clean. Don’t be one of those people. Put your phone down and CLEAN.

8. Get ahead in your work

Although this may sound like a boring way to spend your time, you’ll thank yourself later when you’re ahead on your work, and your friends are stuck inside trying to finish something you did last week.

9. Go shopping

Whether you have money to spend or not, window shopping for outfit ideas can be a distracting and fun! And you never need your phone for shopping.

10. Delete your social media apps for a while

Nothing feels better than not stressing out about checking your feeds multiple times a day. While it may be difficult at first, detox is GREAT for you.