TIK TOK’S LESSONS OF TRAVEL FOR COLLEGE WOMEN

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Richmond London chapter.

As college women, some may say we are living in the days of prime opportunity for travel, we have the time, we have the energy but we are missing one major element: the money. Despite this slight inconvenience it is still possible to make the most out of this time in our lives and as shown by Tik Tok there are many tips and tricks that can help.

AFFORDABILITY

“let the trip choose you” – @hannahdudeck

When using the Skyscanner application, there is the option to set your destination to ‘everywhere’. By choosing this option and selecting your desired travel dates, the app will find the cheapest locations for you to fly to allowing more of your budget to be spent on actual experiences.

“travel during the off-season” – @spellboundtravel

The ‘off-season’ for travel varies from place to place however a common theme of these is that they are often during term time when schools are open. As a college student, you have newfound freedom in making your own decisions.

SAFETY

“act like you belong” – @emcally

Avoid appearing like a tourist – especially if you are by yourself. By blending in with the crowd you are much less likely to be targeted by scammers, pickpockets, or those looking to take advantage of you.

“preparation is key” – @carolinerosetravel

Do as much research about the place you’re traveling to before you go – current news/ political climate – cultural norms/customs – languages spoken – places to avoid – common scams and crimes to look out for – helpful to look at other travelers’ experiences.

EXPERIENCE

“stay in hostels to make friends” – @travellingtuesdays

By using the communal kitchens that hostels provide and making use of the common spaces, it is easy to meet travelers just like you. Hostels often offer pub crawls, group day trips, and busy social schedules.

“join expat groups” – @thewanderlustrose

By searching ‘ex-pats of ….’ Whatever city or country you are going to you are able to be put in touch with other people traveling the area allowing for group trips/dinners and friends to continue on your traveling with.

While the current pandemic is holding back many fellow wanderlust-ers hopefully these tips can be put to use in planning and making the most out of our post-Covid adventures.

Olivia Fox

Richmond London '22

I am an International Business major with minors in Finance and Economics. I love fashion, friends and all things spontaneous. I spend all my free time traveling the world :)