Interviewing Zulfa Quadri, Co-Director of the Rice Women’s Resource Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rice chapter.

Zulfa Quadri, co-director of the Rice Women’s Resource Center (RWRC) for the 2017-2018 school year and a McMurtry College senior studying Cognitive Sciences, Biochemistry, and Cell Biology, discusses her desire to cultivate a community of shared empowerment through the RWRC.

What do you consider to be the key function served by the Rice Women’s Resource Center on the Rice campus?

The key function is to provide a safe space for not just women, but everyone on campus. We provide both physical resources like condoms, tampons, pads, and books, as well as event-based resources like panels. It’s all about fostering an environment of support and acceptance for everyone, especially those who are a part of minority or disadvantaged groups on campus.

How does the RWRC work to address issues of gender inequality?

We primarily host events to educate others about feminism, women’s rights, and abortion policies. We also work in partnership with nonprofit organizations like NARAL [Pro-Choice America], Planned Parenthood, and CASN [the Clinic Access Support Network] by donating to them and promoting their events.

What issue(s) of gender inequality have you found to be most prevalent on the Rice campus?

I think the recent issues about sexual assault and harassment in the media also, unfortunately, apply to Rice too. We as a university have definitely taken steps to improve the situation through CTIS [Critical Thinking in Sexuality] and stuff like that, but we still have some way to go. Statistically, women are still more likely to face sexual harassment and assault (and that’s not to say that men don’t get harassed or assaulted because they definitely do, and it’s not any less of a problem).

Are there any projects you would take on if you didn’t have resource constraints?

I would love to do bigger projects across Houston in conjunction with other nonprofits to raise money for donations, and host conferences with notable people in the women’s rights social justice circle. Anything to raise awareness and give back to the wonderful local women’s rights organizations we have here.

In what ways does the RWRC liaise with the broader Houston community?

As mentioned before, we work with a lot of the women’s rights organizations here in Houston like Planned Parenthood, NARAL, and CASN. Currently, we have our annual Vagina Monologues production coming up, and all proceeds usually get donated to one of those organizations.

As co-director of the Rice Women’s Resource Center, what contribution are you most proud of? What’s your vision for the RWRC going forward?

Wow, I think I’m most proud of the visibility of the RWRC this year, and the people Julian and I have chosen to coordinate. I most definitely can’t take credit for everything, but I can say I did a good job of picking the right people and the right accent wall color for our office! My vision for the RWRC going forward is further expanding to become a bigger part of the university, as the conversation about feminism and women’s rights becomes more mainstream. As always, I want the RWRC to continue to support our vision to upkeep a safe, loving community for all.

Ellie is a Political Science and Policy Studies double major at Rice University, with a minor in Politics, Law and Social Thought. She spent the spring of 2017 studying/interning in London, and hopes to return to England for grad school. Academically, Ellie's passion lies in evaluating policies that further the causes of gender equality, LGBT rights, and access to satisfactory healthcare, specifically as it pertains to women's health and mental health. She also loves feminist memoirs, eighteenth-century history, old bookstores, and new places. She's continuously inspired by the many strong females in her life, and is an unequivocal proponent of women supporting women.