Five A+ Food and Wine Pairings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rice chapter.

Tbh if you like the food and you like the wine, it’s hard to go wrong.

Appetizer

Food: Baked brie with figs and walnuts

Wine: Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

Explanation: Pinot Noir has a depth of flavor that can hold up to the brie, and the wine’s acidity will cut through some of the fattiness of the cheese and nuts

Soup

Food: Kale and apple soup

Wine: French Chenin Blanc from the Loire

Explanation: The light flavors of the Chenin Blanc will not overpower the soup, while the wine’s bright acidity will complement the soup’s apple notes

Salad

Food: Greek salad

Wine: Verdejo from Rueda, Spain

Explanation: The fresh, fruit-centric flavors of the Verdejo will nicely balance the high acidity of the Greek salad’s dressing and feta cheese

Entrée

Food: Rosemary and black pepper lamb chops

Wine: Cabernet Sauvignon from Bordeaux

Explanation: The black pepper used to season the lamb chops will minimize the perception of tannins in the Cabernet Sauvignon, and the meal is heavy enough so as not to be drowned out by the wine’s full body

Dessert

Food: Dark chocolate bundt cake

Wine: Vintage Port

Explanation: The intensity of the dark chocolate will be well-matched by the strong black-fruit flavors of the Port, with the chocolate’s slight bitterness preventing the dessert pairing from seeming too sweet or off-balance

For more tips on food and wine pairing, check out this article!

Ellie is a Political Science and Policy Studies double major at Rice University, with a minor in Politics, Law and Social Thought. She spent the spring of 2017 studying/interning in London, and hopes to return to England for grad school. Academically, Ellie's passion lies in evaluating policies that further the causes of gender equality, LGBT rights, and access to satisfactory healthcare, specifically as it pertains to women's health and mental health. She also loves feminist memoirs, eighteenth-century history, old bookstores, and new places. She's continuously inspired by the many strong females in her life, and is an unequivocal proponent of women supporting women.