Eight Quotes to Help Graduating Seniors Cope with Leaving Rice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rice chapter.

Sob/smile through these bittersweet quotes about change, fear, and the unknown.

1. “Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow.”—Carrie Fisher
  2. “Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet.”—L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
  3. “There are years that ask questions and years that answer.”—Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Were Watching God
  4. “The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from setbacks means that you are, ever after, secure in your ability to survive.”—J.K. Rowling
  5. “Her own thoughts and reflections were habitually her best companions.”—Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
  6. “I have been bent and broken, but—I hope—into a better shape.”—Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
  7. “Hope is not an illusion.”—Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Princess
  8. “So it goes.”—Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

Have another quote you think we should’ve included? Let us know on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook!

Ellie is a Political Science and Policy Studies double major at Rice University, with a minor in Politics, Law and Social Thought. She spent the spring of 2017 studying/interning in London, and hopes to return to England for grad school. Academically, Ellie's passion lies in evaluating policies that further the causes of gender equality, LGBT rights, and access to satisfactory healthcare, specifically as it pertains to women's health and mental health. She also loves feminist memoirs, eighteenth-century history, old bookstores, and new places. She's continuously inspired by the many strong females in her life, and is an unequivocal proponent of women supporting women.