10 Female-Driven Shows You Need to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rice chapter.

Not only do these shows pass the Bechdel Test, they ace it. Find them all on either Hulu or Netflix!

1. The Bold Type

Favorite quote: “I expect you to unleash holy hell on anyone who tries to hold you back.”

Watch on: Hulu

2. Cable Girls

Favorite quote: “Cabeza alta, orgullo y amor propio.” // “Head high, pride and self-esteem.”

Watch on: Netflix

3. The Fall

Favorite quote: “A woman, I forget who, once asked a male friend why men felt threatened by women. He replied that they were afraid that women might laugh at them. When she asked a group of women why women felt threatened by men, they said, ‘We’re afraid they might kill us.’ He might fascinate you. I despise him with every fiber of my being.”

Watch on: Netflix

4. Harlots

Favorite quote: “How can I relinquish my freedom to a man who thinks I’m a pineapple?”

Watch on: Hulu

5. My Mad Fat Diary

Favorite quote: “There is nothing wrong with having a bad day, nothing at all. There is nothing wrong with putting your jammies on and staying in. The world will wait. The world will not combust because you can’t force a smile.”

Watch on: Hulu

6. Offspring

Favorite quote: “I’m seeing the value in alcohol and bad pop.”

Watch on: Hulu, Netflix

7. Reign

Favorite quote: “History is written by the survivors, and I am surely that.”

Watch on: Netflix

8. Rita

Favorite quote: “I’ve actually always dreamt of having an extra room that was all mine. Use it for something fun. Maybe I should get a bondage room.”

Watch on: Netflix

9. Shameless

Favorite quote: “If I don’t invest in myself, no one else ever will.”

Watch on: Hulu (with Showtime add-on), Netflix

10. Younger

Favorite quote: “As Taylor Swift said, there is a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women.”

Watch on: Hulu

Ellie is a Political Science and Policy Studies double major at Rice University, with a minor in Politics, Law and Social Thought. She spent the spring of 2017 studying/interning in London, and hopes to return to England for grad school. Academically, Ellie's passion lies in evaluating policies that further the causes of gender equality, LGBT rights, and access to satisfactory healthcare, specifically as it pertains to women's health and mental health. She also loves feminist memoirs, eighteenth-century history, old bookstores, and new places. She's continuously inspired by the many strong females in her life, and is an unequivocal proponent of women supporting women.