stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Why the Size of Your Jeans Doesn’t Matter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Jean shopping has always been hard for me. I know it’s hard for lots of girls, especially girls my size. I am not skinny and I have curves, so finding a pair of jeans that fit just right is hard. However, the hardest part is accepting the number on the tag. Yes, the price tag too, but right now I’m talking about the size. There are so many sizes and everyone is different, but my entire life I’ve felt like I’ve needed to be smaller than a size 8 (I’m not) because being a size 8 or below was “the normal”.

Society has a hard time accepting that girls don’t have to fit into one category. Everyone is different. The size of your jeans is just a number; it has nothing to do with your worth. People have this idea that they need to be a certain size to feel accepted and that’s truly not the case. 

I had a friend tell me the other day what size her jeans were when I hadn’t asked. It almost made me feel like she needed to prove something to me. Honestly, I don’t care about the size of her jeans. It’s just a number. The fashion industry makes it so girls size 14 and up are seen as “plus size.” In this case, I’m plus size, and this makes me feel like I’m fat. I can put on a flowy skirt from a store that could be a size medium, but when it comes to jean sizing, I’m “plus size.” Why do we allow the fashion industry to define our worth by a number or phrase? 

Our jean sizes don’t matter. You could be a size 0 or a size 12 and guess what? You should be treated the same. Skinny girls are beautiful. Curvy girls are beautiful. Fit girls are beautiful. It’s 2019 for crying out loud, we all need to love our bodies and love ourselves. I know sizes can be overwhelming, especially if your friends are smaller than you. But, please just remember, you’re beautiful no matter what the number on your tag says. 

Hi, I'm Sabrina and I'm from St. Louis, Missouri. I'm majoring in Political Science and International Studies.