What Welcome Week DOESN’T Tell You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.
  1. There is a part of the library that is open 24 hours a day

No, it is not the Middle Ground. It’s the computer lab near the archives, and it has its own door. Fob yourself in anytime at the other end of the Barrett Cloister.

1. You can download Microsoft Office fo’ free

Log in to your Rhodes email online and the whole world is at your fingertips. Including Word, Excel, and PPT. On the upper right, you’ll see the question mark/help symbol. Type “Office 365” and you’ll see a link to Office 365 under the heading “Your app settings.” Click on it, log in again, and you have a free copy of Microsoft Office waiting to be downloaded. Seriously wish I knew this before I bought that bundle package…

1. Burrow Hall is a Wonderful Place™

(pictured above in case too many buildings start with B these days)

Most people know Burrow as the home of Rhodes Express, Study Abroad, Career Services, and Ira Lawson. But did you know that there are designated student spaces? Two areas are available 24 hours to Rhodes kids. The Office of Multicultural Affairs is on the fourth floor, and has tons of DVDs for you to borrow plus TVs and couches for said DVD-watching. The student leadership office (the bomb dot com, basically) is on the third floor. That area also has TVs and lounge space, but the main appeal is the dope crafting supplies. Paint, paper, even an awesome die-cutter (like, cuts perfect block letters out of any paper with zero hassle). Also Burrow is the only building on campus with a back-up generator… aka TV and air conditioning even in the worst of times

1. Fried Chicken Friday is not the only good Rat food

Chicken Parm. Lo Mein. Quesadillas. Surprisingly delightful fish. All of these are enjoyable options at the Rat that are not the beloved FCF (which, IMO, has gone downhill a bit anyway). Just because you don’t recognize the thing on the menu doesn’t mean that it’s bad! Just this week we had the surprisingly well-cooked butternut squash cubes. The Rat is full of surprises. It’s always worth it to take a quick tour of your options before settling for pizza or cereal. On the other hand, sometimes we have Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and I’m all about that life.

1. You can get $75 in ZipCar credit if you don’t bring a car on campus

A lot of underclassmen don’t have cars on campus. These poor souls can either beg friends to take them around, or go for a ZipCar. But at $7.50 an hour, sometimes this convenience can rack up. But Rhodes College wants fewer cars on campus, so they’re willing to pay you to take the ZipCar. Granted, I don’t exactly remember how to execute this one (who to email, etc.) but I WILL tell you that it works. I did it, and I survived freshman year without a car and without paying the hourly rate. ZipCars also have guaranteed parking spots *cough cough*.

Photo Source: Rhodes College website

Cultural enthusiast. Certified cheapskate. A great combination.