courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

What if My Best Friend and I Aren’t Meant to Be?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

What if my best friend and I aren’t meant to be best friends? At this point in our lives, many of us have had to face this overwhelming and sad question. And well, if you haven’t, you’re one of the lucky ones. A breakup with friends might be more painful than any other relationship ending. If you’re anything like me, finding female best friends can be as challenging as running a marathon. I’ve always struggled to relate to girls and form those strong connections that can withstand anything. So, once I find those people, I hold on tight and refuse to let go, even when I know it’s for the best. 

I’ve recently hit a rough patch with one of my best friends from back home, possibly caused by the distance between us. 1,200 miles apart can put a strain on even the strongest relationships, but for the past year and a half, we have thrived. Until recently. We’ve stopped sharing the most intimate details of our lives and for me, a best friend is someone I can share everything with. Recently the things we share have vanished into thin air, we want different things and are in different places. Every time we try to talk, negative energy swallows the conversation, leaving an empty hole. We have both tried to move past what has changed and return things to normal, but in all honesty, we have grown apart. Unfortunately, this isn’t my first time down this path, and most of you can probably relate. How do you say goodbye from the person who was once your other half? The girl you thought would be your bridesmaid? The truth is… I don’t know, and no one does. For me, I want to feel the emotions and take some time. 

Best ways to heal a broken heart: Watch some movies. Listen to music. Go for a long walk. Call home. Grab coffee with other friends or a person from class. Feel the sunshine. Smile. 

Right now, you might feel heartbroken and sad. But know that out there is going to be another girl in the same position. You will find your other half again, and who knows? Maybe one day you and your old bestie will reconnect. 

Reid Brown

Rhodes '22

I'm from Vermont which means I can talk about snow, maple syrup, and how great Canada is all day:)