Style > Beauty

Va-Va-PLUMP™ Shiny Liquid Lipstick: Is Buxom Worth the Extra Bucks?

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

We spend some nights studying, and others we spend dancing in the dark with friends, periodically remembering the four tests and five papers that are due by midnight and suppressing the urge to drop out in favor of the cushy and less intellectually-demanding career of becoming an Instagram model. But alas, your face isn’t conventionally attractive (caustically cheek-boned, beat to the gods) and your makeup skills are still those of pre-2007 Michelle Phan.

Maybe Buxom can provide that extra chutzpah you need to crash the Met Gala.  (Or maybe to just attend a small, friendly, and responsible get-together.) Tonight, I’ll be testing Buxom’s Va-Va-PLUMP™ Shiny Liquid Lipstick in the sumptuous shade, “Wine Me.”

I apply the lipstick, and it feels wonderful and smooth. Then I get a pleasant minty, tingly sensation on my lips.That’s the Menthol. I only need one swipe to feel like I’ve gotten full coverage from the wine red-colored pigment.

A blurry Va-Va-PLUMP™ Shiny Liquid Lipstick swatch on a ghost’s arm. Spooky.

According to Sephora, “Buxom’s unique peptide and hyaluronic acid booster helps to support natural collagen, give lips a volumized look, and plump to perfection—without irritation.” I wouldn’t say my lips are very thin or very thick, but I don’t notice much of a difference in their appearance aside from being a much prettier color than usual.

Thanks to the Dimethicone Cream in the product, my lips aren’t dry or chapped. But this isn’t a mattifying liquid lipstick by any means; any time you touch it, some red will definitely come away. I noticed this while sipping throughout the night. Be careful with white clothing. Even if you’re the most cautious person on the planet, I suspect it’ll get all over a white shirt or dress one way or another.

Fortunately, even though the product comes off on foreign objects, it doesn’t leave your lips easily. I was out for more than five hours before enough disappeared to be noticeable, and let’s be real, if you’re out in the dark, that slow retreat really doesn’t matter.

Results after several hours of partying.

Personally, I’m a bit new to the liquid lipstick game. Mostly because I’m lazy, mostly because I’m a broke college kid, and partially because I detest the patriarchy that insists women’s lips must constantly be an array of unnatural colors. I only own one Nyx Lingerie lipstick and one Colourpop Ultra Matte. That said, I’ll compare them if only for some kind of price-point reference.

Buxom ($20 for 0.11 oz) vs. Nyx Lingerie ($7 for 0.13 oz)

Nyx Lingerie is possibly the most comfortable lipstick I’ve ever worn. It looks smooth, it hangs around for a pretty long time, but (from my experience) doesn’t tend to overstay its welcome.

Buxom is similar in terms of comfort and even better in terms of staying power, but I don’t necessarily like the stain that remains. Nyx is the winner here, especially considering Buxom is more than twice the cost for less product.

Buxom ($20 for 0.11 oz) vs. Colourpop Ultra Matte ($6.50 for 0.11 oz)

Colourpop Ultra Matte is DRY. I can barely deal with it half the time. Depending on how dark the color is, you’ll need consistent touch-ups to keep it from becoming splotchy if you intend to eat or drink. The undertones of your lipstick will stay around for what seems like centuries after you’ve tried to remove it. The winner here is a real toss-up, and it depends on how much you feel comfortable investing in good quality makeup.

Conclusion?

Until I miraculously find myself swimming in cash, I think I’ll stick to cheaper brands. But Buxom offers a pretty good product if you can afford the price.

Tara is an English major, co-host of "Did I Shave My Legs for This" on Rhodes Radio, and college advisor for the Gender & Sexuality cohort at Bridge Builders CHANGE in Memphis, TN. They have been published in The Bridge Street Paper, the Rhodes College Sou'Wester, and Nightlight Digital Magazine.