This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

National Love your Pet Day is today. And by golly, it should be proclaimed a national holiday because pets are amazing, wonderful, beautiful, fantastic gifts to this world that we, terribly flawed humans, do not deserve. And no offense to anyone out there, but my dog is the best pet out there. (Of course I say this coming from a completely unbiased perspective.)

And anyone who denies this objective, universal truth, will be on my knit list, and for anyone, who dares to scoff at my knit list, lemme just remind you of Charles Dickens’s Madame Defarge, a real revolutionary who stitched the very first knit list with names of people she wanted to die while casually humming, “Tickle, tickle; pickle, pickle! And off its head comes!” So everyone better stand on a rooftop, climb up a mountaintop, and scream and shout that my dog is the best animal on this spherical earth–or else, tickle, tickle.

Now, to bring back some good vibes after the threatening ones I might have introduced, just take a little look at Rylie’s picture. She’s such a cutie patootie that I can’t help but miss her so very much.

Everyday for the past week she’s been in every single dream I’ve had. Literally every single one. At least I get to see her, even if it’s only in my sweet dreams. I just don’t know how to live without seeing her everyday because without her, there’d be no sun in my sky, no love in my life, no world left for me. I genuinely tear up as I think about the fact that I’m 393 miles away from Rylie. But I would walk a thousand miles to see her face smushed up against the front porch window.

Rylie, hopefully, someone is reading this to you–or maybe you’re reading this yourself since you are brilliant and surely capable of operating a computer. But I need you to know that I’m thinking about you always. I miss your little poots, your wagging tail, your favoritism towards me over our other sister, your toothy smile, your passive aggressive stares while I eat my dinner–I miss everything about you, but I’ll be coming home; wait for me. And I don’t know if you’ve noticed this, Rylie, but throughout this article are scattered song lyrics, all of which are from songs that remind me of you, songs that I would’ve have used to serenade you if I were home or if you weren’t afraid of FaceTime.

I love you, Rylie. Everyday. Not just on Love Your Pet Day.  

:)