Sweet Heat Korean Beef & Rice Bowl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

I feel like I’ve spent way too much at the grocery store lately, yet I feel like I’ve been in a recipe funk, so I thought about going back to the basics… 

With some easy and go-to pantry items, here’s a delicious recipe for Korean Beef & Rice Bowls

-I used 1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef 

-1 1/2 cups of brown rice

-Green Beans (I used frozen!!)

-Brown sugar or honey, sesame oil, olive oil, soy sauce, ginger (fresh or ground), and garlic 

So, first I started my rice– 1:2 ratio rice to water, and allow that to come to a boil, and then place on simmer for roughly 35-45 minutes with the top on. 

Meanwhile, mix together roughly 1/2 cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of brown sugar or honey, 1/4 cup of sesame oil, and 2 tsps. of ground ginger, or as much freshly grated ginger and garlic as you’d like! Stir this up and have this ready– it’s going to go on the beef after you’ve browned it. In the meantime that you’ve made the sauce and are browning the beef, get ready your green beans. Using frozen green beans, I microwaved them for 1/4 of the recommended time, just to defrost and keep crunchy. I like to mix a little bit of olive oil and sesame oil to sauté the green beans in, adding in garlic and ginger if you prefer! For more taste, the sauce for the meat tastes delish on the green beans as well, but I find that with a lot of freshly chopped garlic and oil, the green beans provide a flavorful crunch to the dish. 

This took a total of an hour to prepare: 1 hour total for rice, and roughly 45 minutes to complete everything else in between. 

Virginia Elizabeth AriailEnglish Major, History Minor @ Rhodes College co 2017Alpha Omicron Pi