Style Icon: Kim Macharia ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Her Campus Rhodes (HCR): When did you feel yourself starting to develop a personal style as opposed to following trends or dressing how others wanted you to dress?

Kim Macharia (KM): When I was in middle school.  I started shopping a lot at Hot Topic, and I definitely wanted to have stock in Hot Topic as an adult.  In high school I started shopping at thrift shops with my friends, mixing and matching different items and developing my own style.

HCR: Can you describe your style to me?

KM: I don’t think I have a specific style, I just try to look good!  I used to look to magazines and things for style inspiration, but now I tend to just work with what I have in my closet.

Shirt: Aeropostale

Jeans: Charlotte Russe

Necklace: Stolen from Mom

Shoes: Dirty Laundry

HCR: What/who are your style influences or icons?

KM: I like people with eclectic styles like Rihanna and Zendaya. 

HCR: How do you decide what to wear every morning?

KM: I like to make sure that I wear all of the clothing I have, so I usually look in my closet to see what items I haven’t worn in a while, and match things that go well with that together.

Dress: Urban Outfitters

Long Sleeved Shirt: Charlotte Russe

Shoes: Steve Madden

Tights: Charlotte Russe

Necklace: Market in Kenya

Earrings: H&M

HCR: What are your must-have fashion items?

KM: Colorful scarves and big earrings.

HCR: What is one piece of advice you would give to someone who is trying to find their personal style?

KM: To not be afraid of whether something is going to look good on you or not.  Most things look good on everyone, you just have to find the right way to wear it!

Shirt: Goodwill

Jeans: Primark

Cardigan: Urban Outfitters

Shoes: Steve Madden

Choker: Francesca’s

Earrings: Primark

HCR: And finally, what is the worst fashion mistake you’ve made?

KM: In eighth grade, I wanted to get into the punk rock lifestyle, so I decided to rock a plaid skirt and a tie, but I didn’t know that if you wear a small, feminine tie, not a men’s tie.  So I borrowed one of my dad’s ties, and I got dragged by a few of my good friends.  Middle school was a time.

Hi! I'm Sarah Johnson, and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rhodes! I am a senior at Rhodes from Little Rock, AR. I am a Music major, I am a Research and Writing Fellow in the Curb Institute and I sing in the Women's Chorus. In my spare time I like to sleep, eat various snack foods, and watch beauty bloggers on YouTube. My main area of expertise is fashion. My personal style is definitely on the hip side of things, and my pattern of choice is stripes. Thirfting is my number one passion, and I hope to never pay full price for an item of clothing until I can actually afford it. I’ve recently noticed that I almost exclusively wear neutrals, which I am trying to remedy with the purchase of color, but it’s not working very well for me. I hope you all enjoy the articles I write and remember to always be cute!