Shape-Up Rhodes: Going Bananas for Bananas- Cheap, Quick, Healthy Recipes for Busy Collegiettes™

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Why should you go bananas?

Bananas are a super food!  They will help to keep you fuller longer, provide over 400 mg of potassium, and contain electrolytes along with a wide variety of vitamins and minerals to fuel your body.  A banana in addition to your breakfast or post workout protein source is a great way to consume natural carbohydrates.  Nourish your body and your mind with this affordable, portable, and tasty fruit!

Banana boredom?

Bored of your daily banana or banana-peanut butter combo in the dining hall?  Check out these sweet treats that take minimal time to prepare and that taste heavenly.  Have an extra minute?  Prep one of these sweet treats, kick back, and indulge with your friends and roommates.

Two Ingredient Ice cream:

This is the EASIEST recipe ever and quite frankly, it beats consuming additives and artificial ingredients found in the ice creams in the freezer isle.  Grab your roommates and get ready to indulge without the bulge for a sweet study break. 

Ingredients:

4 medium bananas

2 tbsp almond butter or peanut butter

Makes Four Servings:

1)   Slice four medium sized bananas into bite sized pieces (1/2 inch disks) and spread evenly on a cookie sheet or plate.  Place them in the freezer for two hours.

2)   Come back two hours later, take your bananas out of the freezer, and place them in your blender.  Blend until the bananas are in soft serve form.   If you are unable to blend the bananas, add 1-2 tbsp milk, almond milk, etc. to help with the blending process.

3)   Add two tbsp peanut butter to the mixture and continue to blend.

4)   Dish out “ice cream” into four dishes, add your favorite toppings such as sprinkles, fresh fruit, or chocolate chips, and indulge with your roommates or friends! (I sprinkled slivered almonds and cinnamon on mine!)

Two Ingredient Banana Pancakes:

Did someone just say PANCAKES?

Ingredients:

1 large banana mashed

2 eggs or 4 egg whites

Makes One Serving:

1)   Peel and mash banana with a fork

2)   Stir in eggs or egg whites

3)   Add in additives of your choice (i.e.- vanilla extract, dash of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, dash of unsweetened cocoa powder)

4)   Put 1 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, or your oil of choice onto pan and place stovetop on low-medium heat

5)   Once the pan is hot, use a spoon and place two tbsp of the batter onto the pan.  Let the pancake sit for about 30 seconds or until it begins to bubble and flip over. 

6)   Place your stack of banana pancakes onto your plate and top with fresh fruit, cinnamon, maple syrup, or with whatever your heart desires!

Chocolate Covered Banana Bites

This is the BEST late night snack craving food out there.  Prep these on a weekday and keep them in your freezer for when your late night sweet tooth strikes.

Ingredients:

1 banana

2 large squares of chocolate or ½ cup chocolate chips

Makes One Serving:

1) Place two large squares of chocolate or ½ cup of chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl (Most recently I used 2 squares of Ghirardelli Intense Dark 72% Cacao Twilight Delight but use dark, milk, or white chocolate depending on your preference)

2) Add 1 tsp of water to the chocolate and place in microwave for one minute or until melted.

3) Slice 1 banana into ½ inch rounded pieces and spread evenly on a plate.  Drizzle chocolate evenly on top of bananas. 

4) Place bananas in freezer and let them sit for at least two hours.

5) Remove bite sized sweet treats from the freezer and enjoy!

Three Ingredient Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies

These cookies are great for breakfast or for any time of day!  

Ingredients:

1 cup quick oats

2 large bananas

(Additives of your choice- ¼ cup raisins or craisins, dash of cinnamon or cocoa powder, ¼ cup blueberries, get creative!)

Makes 16 cookies:

1)   Mash bananas and mix together with the quick oats. 

2)   Place dollop sized cookies evenly on a greased baking sheet

3)   Cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes

4)   Remove from oven, let them sit, and enjoy!

Healthy Banana Split

A protein packed post-workout or late night snack for those of you who consume dairy.

Ingredients:

1 Banana

1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (Can sub for 1/4 cup low sodium cottage cheese or non-dairy yogurt)

2 tbsp chocolate chips

5 strawberries, cut into bite sized pieces

Makes One Serving:

1)   Place one banana on a plate

2)   Top banana with ¼ cup plain greek yogurt, 2 tbsp chocolate chips, and fresh cut strawberries

Sources:

http://theskinnyconfidential.c…

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod….

http://www.pbs.org/parents/kit…

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com…

http://thefitwife.blogspot.com…

Priscilla is a senior at Rhodes College, a liberal arts college located in Memphis, TN. She intends on majoring in Commerce & Business and minoring in International Studies. She currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief & Her Campus Rhodes Campus Correspondent. In addition to working on the Her Campus Rhodes team, Priscilla is a sister of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, Rhodes College Diplomat, Rhodes Activities Board representative, and a Rhodes Peer Assistant. She loves flowers, hiking, cooking, music, hanging out with friends and exploring good Memphis eats!