Shape Up Rhodes: Getting Sleep in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

The college dorm room is one of the most difficult settings to get adequate sleep.

Check out the following sleeping tips that will turn your restlessness into deep slumber.

1) Don’t work out at night; it will make it harder for you to fall asleep. 

According to Women’s Health Magazine, “Exercising regularly does make it easier to fall asleep. But make sure you finish working out at least three hours before bedtime–preferably in the afternoon. A cooler body makes it easier to fall asleep. Exercise raises your body temperature and it takes about six hours to get back to normal temperature.” 

2) It is 11p.m. and you’re hungry, scrounging around for something to eat.  Drop what you’re doing and run to the sink to brush your teeth.

Late night snacking will make it harder for your body to fall asleep because your body will try to digest food and sleep simultaneously.  By brushing your teeth, you will not want to eat something that will ruin your sleep and make you feel gross in the morning.  If this does not work, try drinking Swiss Miss Diet Hot Chocolate (25 calories).  It will cure your sweet cravings and suppress your appetite.

3) Drink caffeine-free tea before bed.  Try Sleepytime Vanilla tea.  Chamomile teas will relax you making it easier to fall asleep.  Avoid caffeinated drinks like coffee before bed.

4) Set a Bedtime; you’ll most likely be more productive in terms of getting your work done and you’ll get the rest you need.  If you don’t set a bedtime, chances are you’ll be on Facebook until 3 a.m.

5) Shower; showering before bed will relax your muscles and help you fall asleep faster.

6) Block out noise; if you usually fall asleep with music, try turning it off.  Get some earplugs if your dorm is too loud (i.e. Glassel third floor).

7) Make your room dark; don’t leave your electronics on.  Your computer light may distract you.  Get a sleep mask if your roommate is up doing homework.  Seeing light will make it harder to go to sleep.

8)  Alcohol; drinking will give you an initial feeling of exhaustion and drowsiness.  Once you fall asleep, the alcohol will keep you “wide-eyed” and will disrupt your sleep.  Try to limit your alcohol intake if this is a problem for you.

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.