From the Runway to Rhodes: New York Fashion Week (Part 2)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Welcome back to “From the Runway to Rhodes: New York Fashion Week”!  New York Fashion Week is much too big of an event to fit into one post. For part 2 of my post we will look into even more trends seen in this fall’s shows. Judging by this year’s Fashion Week, vintage trends and fall themes will continue to be on trend next spring.

As far as color schemes, orange was a big hit for this year’s runway. Rachel Zoe stayed very true to the past with her bold color palette and super-flare pants. She paired the super-flares with a one-of-a-kind ombre fur vest, and added a touch a fringe to create texture in the orange look.. Throughout her collection, Zoe did an excellent job of mixing different textures. She uses fur, velvet, and satin together in a single look and somehow it works perfectly.

In contrast to Rachel Zoe’s casual looks, Badgley Mischka showcased orange in stunning evening gowns. The vivid color really pops in the simple silhouette of left dress, while the right dress uses a lighter orange in the embroidery. The cutouts of the left dress are perfectly placed to where they add edge to the dress, but are still tasteful. The mix of gold and pale orange in the intricate evening gown creates a truly beautiful piece. Although usually a color associated with fall, orange is definitely going to be the “it” color for spring of 2016. 

Another usually fall or winter trend that is continuing into the spring is the “gothic” style. Characterized by dark colors and structured forms, the gothic style is mysterious, edgy, and generally badass. I absolutely loved the gothic twist Red Valentino put on their ready-to-wear collection this fall. Chokers are definitely back in style, and the Valentino Red collection goes back to the very roots of the gothic style by updating historical silhouettes (seen in the left outfit). The looks are both brightened up a little bit with blue and purple flower details.

The famous Oscar de La Renta brought the gothic to cocktail dresses in his show. The left dress is somewhat reminiscent of the classic royal silhouette. The touch of gold really brings life to the dress, and the off-the-shoulder brings a new twist to an old favorite style of dress. The lace details on the right dress are very gothic, but the thick fringe on the bottom is a very unique touch.

That’s all for this fall’s fashion week! Keep these trends in mind when updating your closets for the spring!

Hi! I'm Nathalie Vacheron, a senior at Rhodes hailing from Germantown, Tennessee. I love to write, I love to edit, and I'm in love with the voice Her Campus gives to women across college campuses. In addition to Her Campus, I'm involved in my sorority, Tri Delta, work in the Counseling/Health Center, am a First Year mentor, and love to run when I can. I'm a Business & Commerce major concentrating in management with a minor in Psychology. I hope to go into health administration, community health, or work for a non-profit (and write a book somewhere in-between...) xoxo