Runway to Rhodes: 90s Super Swap Costume Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Looking back in fashion history, there are some trends that probably should have never existed (Von Dutch hats, anyone?). I may be a little biased as a product of the 90s, but in my opinion this decade produced some of the most interesting fashion styles. I wish I could live in old concert t-shirts, flannel, baby doll dresses and crop tops. The super-swap is this Thursday, with the theme of I Love the 90s. This theme gives you plenty of room to go all out with your costume or keep it easy. Here are some costume ideas to get your creative juices flowing:

Edward Scissor Hands

This costume idea is for somebody who is dedicated to dressing up. All you need is a white button down, black pants, gloves and some foil. Create cones out of the foil, tape in on and there are your scissorhands!

Jean on Jean with Jean on Jean

Take a cue from the pop royalty of the 90’s by rocking the all jean look. Joutfits may be a fashion faux pas, but I have never been able to resist.  Pair overalls with a jean jacket, Keds and a backwards cap to complete the look.

Courtney Love

This is the costume I’ll be rocking if my blonde wig comes in (and probably even if it doesn’t). Love is notorious for being a sloppy mess, so here is an excuse to ‘get into character.’ Basically, throw on as many random things on at one time for this costume. I’ll be in a baby doll dress, combat boots, messy hair and smeared red lipstick. Complete the look with a flannel shrouded Kurt Cobain by your side.

Girl Power

The Spice Girls were my obsession in elementary school. I dreamt of the days when I would be just like Posh Spice (clearly my diva-tude developed at a young age). If you and four friends are looking to spice up your Thursday night, this costume is for you.

Camouflage

This costume idea could be useful if your typical nightly activities involve running and/or hiding from campus safety. Find as many camo items (even if they are all different colors) and wear them all at once. Wanna also show some school pride? There are ‘RHODES’ camouflage shirt for sale in the book store. 

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.