Webpnet resizeimage 1jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Webpnet resizeimage 1jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The Lala

A Rose for Love and a Book Forever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

In sixth grade, on Valentine’s Day, my mom gifted me with The Care and Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girlsyou know, that American Girl book that describes the woes of puberty. Admittedly, I was like, “is Valentine’s Day really the time for this”? I expected M&Ms or Hershey Kisses, not a book. And listen, I’ve always been a bookworm, but I was completely and utterly embarrassed to have received such a racy book. (Mind you, I went to Catholic school from kindergarten to my senior year, so anything that was outside of Nancy Drew and Harry Potter was too much for my wee eleven-year-old brain.)

Looking back, my mom made a good decision. It was the right time, and frankly, getting a book on Valentine’s Day is quite the treat. In fact, my friend/roommate, who has travelled all the way to Spain, told me that in Catalonia, they celebrate their equivalent of Valentine’s Day – St. George’s Day on April 23 – by giving their beloved a rose and a book. Hence, their motto: “A rose for love and a book forever.” Doesn’t that sound lovely?

However, since I can’t travel all the way to Spain due to the pandemic, I am requesting that someone bring this tradition to me. Right here in Memphis. I definitely don’t have a Valentine – or would you call it a Georgetine for St. George’s Day – so the position is open. Anyone? I’m not asking for a romance or even a friendship, just a book (and a rose, preferably real). You can head on over to Novel on Perkins. Even though there is a snow storm right now, worry not! April 23 is weeks away. 

If, however, you need a book suggestion because you’d rather get your lover or your brother or whomever a gift instead of me, I got your back – even though you clearly don’t have mine. 

If you want to disturb your beloved with a book, take a gander at The Dinner by Herman Koch. The ending left me questioning humanity, and maybe, you want to test how your beloved will react to such an ending. 

If you like toxic relationships between friends and lovers, check out Conversations with Friends and/or Normal People by Sally Rooney. I’m not sure what message that might send to your beloved, but you do you. Rooney’s writing is chef’s kiss.

If you like family sagas that make you cry, go on and give Commonwealth and/or The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett a try. (The Dutch House by Patchett is on my list to read next). Oh, and Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng and/or Pachinko by Min Jin Lee. Also, I can’t forget – All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood. If your beloved doesn’t cry or at least have watery eyes at some point while reading any of these stories, run. Run far away. Only heartless, soulless people wouldn’t cry at these beautiful pieces of writing. 

Happy Reading!