This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

I’ve never had a sister, but it wasn’t until I arrived at college that I got one. The idea of living with someone I didn’t know scared me, but I am very glad she is my roommate. From our nap times to coffee shop study hours to our vibe checks, I am lucky to do college by her side. 

Little did I know she would soon be dying my hair purple at 12 am, or waking me up to the smell of her strong French Vanilla coffee. Life is a lot better with her in my life. I didn’t know what to expect when I came to college and had to live with someone I had never met before. But I couldn’t be happier with how it worked out. 

There are a lot of reasons why I love her, but my favorite thing about her is how great she is at giving advice. There have been countless times I cried to her about school, friends, and boys. However, she has always been there for me and allows me to say everything I need to say before she gives me advice. Not only does she give me advice, but after, she even takes me to get coffee! Nothing a little caffeine can’t fix. 

It’s nice to have a bond like this with someone in college. There’s a part of being close with your roommate that reminds you of being home with your own siblings. She has definitely been like an older sister to me and is always teaching me her ways. 

It was definitely weird at first sleeping in a room next to someone you barely know, but now, when she leaves me for a weekend, I have a hard time sleeping knowing she isn’t in the room with me. She brings me a sense of comfort and when she isn’t with me for a weekend, something bad always happens. She helps me make smarter decisions and helps me prioritize my life. 

I am very grateful for the living situation that I have here. A lot of people in college either don’t get along with their roommate or just aren’t close to them. I am lucky to have such a close relationship with her. She’s like my roommate, best friend, and sister all in one. 

Hi, I'm Sabrina and I'm from St. Louis, Missouri. I'm majoring in Political Science and International Studies.