Rhodes United for St. Jude: The Next BIG Org at Rhodes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Rhodes United for St. Jude, previously known as Up ‘til Dawn, has revamped its organization with a new name, a Game Day Give Back event this Monday, April 8th, and exciting plans for the future. While St. Jude is Tri Delta’s official philanthropy, Rhodes United for St. Jude is the organization NOT limited to members of Tri Delta, and is exclusively dedicated to advocacy and fundraising for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

On April 8th, Rhodes United for St. Jude is hosting an event in the BCLC, featuring a patient speaker starting at 7:15PM, followed by a viewing party of the NCAA Championship Basketball Game starting at 8PM. At halftime, one lucky Rhodes guy will be chosen based on how much money was raised for him, to get his head shaved by Rhodes senior and master hair stylist, Lex Browning. As if that isn’t enough, there will be raffle prizes and a grand prize presented for the participant with the winning bracket.

Nguyen Pham, Executive Director says, “This semester is serving as our transitional period into the new name Rhodes United for St. Jude (RUS), which entails some changes in the way we want to present ourselves between the Rhodes community. We’re broadening our focus from mainly raising money to including educational purposes. For instance, we’re working on engaging the students more actively by giving them opportunities to volunteer at the Target House.”

Aside from this main event in the spring, Rhodes United for St. Jude has big plans for next year, including more patient speakers, fundraising events, volunteer opportunities, and other events on and off campus. Executive Board and volunteer positions will be opening in the next couple of weeks. To find out how to get involved in this up and coming organization for the 2013-2014 year, contact Nguyen at phant@rhodes.edu

Rhodes '10, Political Science Major, from Princeton, N.J.
Priscilla is a senior at Rhodes College, a liberal arts college located in Memphis, TN. She intends on majoring in Commerce & Business and minoring in International Studies. She currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief & Her Campus Rhodes Campus Correspondent. In addition to working on the Her Campus Rhodes team, Priscilla is a sister of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, Rhodes College Diplomat, Rhodes Activities Board representative, and a Rhodes Peer Assistant. She loves flowers, hiking, cooking, music, hanging out with friends and exploring good Memphis eats!