#RGP: Rhodes Girl Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

#RGP: Rhodes Girl Problems

By Kendra Lyons

There is something very distinct about the problems that Rhodes girls face on a daily basis. Our school is small—often compared to a high school—and at times leaves you in situations that seem unreal. Here are some quick solutions to common Rhodes girl problems.

All of the boys are starting to look the same and you literally are attracted to no one. Freshmen year is stereotyped as the first and last time to harness a legitimate romance at Rhodes. Guys are excited to meet you because you are new, adorable, and completely unaware of what reputation they have, who they have dated, etc. However, all of your options dwindle as early as second semester because you have either become too good of friends or already got involved in a 3-week-long hookup that ended after the “where is this going” conversation. It is important to remember that Rhodes guys feel the same way about us, and we are all in this together. Even if you feel like you know everyone, you don’t. You may be pleasantly surprised by doing something as simple as going to a fraternity party that you usually wouldn’t go to, or going out with a friend who has different friends than you do. Having a negative attitude about the situation will only bring you down. Plus guys will pick up on the vibe and some gems that might still exist will probably not be attracted to it. So go out, have fun, and give people a chance!

You have lost all motivation to work out in the BCLC. The Rhodes gym is hilarious. You have the athletic teams grunting in the back, several girls on elliptical machines in the front, professors using free weights to the side, and a general conglomeration of awkwardness. It is Rhodes law that you will run into an ex or a crush every time you are there, and you will look sweaty and exhausted when it happens. Because of this (and #RGP 1), you are losing motivation to work out and feel yourself getting out of shape because of it. Once it gets warmer outside, you can take a run or walk outside either around campus or on Mud Island. Until then, check out magazines like Women’s Health or Self that always have great suggestions for workouts you can do in your dorm room. However, you can’t avoid the gym forever. Go when you’re in a social mood, put on a cute workout outfit, create an upbeat playlist, and get in there! The reality is, the athletes aren’t looking at us, and you will only feel better afterwards.

PBJ is no longer a good place to study because everyone and their mom are always there. You know the drill. You walk into the library with a backpack that weighs twenty pounds, your hair on top of your head, a coffee in hand, and motivation to work through the night. But after the second flight of stairs you loose hope for a quiet spot to study, your drive dwindles, and you decide to call it a night. It is OK if this happens on occasion, but skipping out on homework time too often can seriously affect your study habits and grades. There are other great local options to study in peace and quiet. Starbucks on Union (or in Germantown, depending on how much space you need), Panera on Poplar, or Otherlands in Cooper Young have yummy food and drinks and are guaranteed escapes from the social hub that is PBJ. Getting away every now and then is essential, but it is also important to utilize the beautiful space we have. Wake up early one day and save a spot, or rotate using a study room with a group of productive peers. Once you get a place, put on your favorite 8tracks playlist, block out everyone else, and get to work! 

Rhodes '10, Political Science Major, from Princeton, N.J.