This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

One day, during the Fall 2017 semester, students gathered around a classroom projector in Buckman Hall. We had come prepared to discuss the position of women, the rise of Islam and increasing political violence in Algeria.

But instead, Professor Terem shocked the class by turning off all the lights. “Everyone pay close attention; I have something exciting to show the class,” Terem reported.

The few students who dared to show up late scrambled blindly through the sea of desks. A music video featuring an electrifying group of Rhodes artists popped onto the screen. The song was “No Escapin’,” a mix of R&B, hip-hop, and electronic music, written and produced by Raneem Imam ‘20, a native Memphian, and Roc Sherrel ‘17. 

“Class, this is my student Raneem! How cool is this! Isn’t she beautiful?” Terem beamed. A surreal spectacle for sure, but it was no shock to find out that the entire class already knew who she was.

The video has now been streamed more than 11 thousand times.

“Break the world right open”

Raneem has always wanted to be in the arts. Her parents were her first audience and became her forever supporters. She started writing songs at three years old and would sing them all day around the house. “I still get an adrenaline rush every time I finish writing something,” Raneem said. “Getting into the music production world has only increased that rush, and now I can express myself in so many ways I couldn’t before.” 

When I spoke to Raneem for this piece, I found out that she was never made aware that Terem showed our class her music video. The story made her feel humble and she appreciated Terem’s words. She was also a little embarrassed. “I don’t think I will ever get used to that attention,” Raneem said.  

I have known Raneem since we entered our freshman year at Rhodes College in 2016. It only takes one conversation with her to know you’ve met someone important, someone destined for fame and fortune. Many others-close friends, strangers, and even her Professors-have said they felt the same way.   

“The first time I met Raneem, she was a first-year in my critical race class,” former Rhodes College Associate Provost Noelle Chaddock said. “She lit up the room with her brain and her willingness to contribute to the intellectual richness of our classroom. And then I heard her sing,” Chaddock said. “I had the honor of having her in a show I directed. It was a high point of my performance life.”   

“Raneem is going to break the world right open and put it back together with grace.”   

When I spoke to Terem, I discovered that her pride and appreciation for Raneem has intensified over the years. “I am deeply impressed and so proud of Raneem. This did not fall out of the sky, though,” Terem said. “From the very first time we met in my office; I knew she would have the career she wanted.”  

“Raneem has a clear vision for her own life and she takes the steps toward it. She is driven by a goal and passion. These are key elements to successful and fulfilling life.”  

“More of a dream than reality”

In her freshman year, she came out with her EP, DIALOGUE, written, produced, recorded, mixed, and mastered by the duo known as |I Contact |, made up of Raneem and Roc Sherrel. As a sophomore music major, Royal Studios offered Raneem an internship. 

Since then, she has performed at many venues such as the Hard Rock Café and The University of Kent, UK, School of Music and Audio Technology. At Rhodes, she is a member of the noted undergraduate choir Rhodes Singers, Jazz Band, and the women’s a cappella group Lipstick on Your Collar.

She’s also active on social media, posting often about her life and artistic developments for her friends, family, and fans. 

In late 2018, she told her Facebook friends that she would be traveling abroad, after learning that she received the Buckman Fellowship. “I’ve been hoping to study abroad since I got to Rhodes, but back then, it honestly felt like more of a dream than reality,” Raneem wrote.

“Today, the dream is even DREAMIER because, not only do I get to go abroad and see what’s poppin in England, but I also get to study and make music while I am there!”    

Hidden in this 500-word announcement was a brief mention of a possible 2019 EP release. “Some of you keep asking me when music is coming and why it’s taking so long… well—college is hard, and I haven’t had much time to dedicate to my music.” Raneem wrote.

“That said, hopefully, with this amazing opportunity in the spring, I’ll be releasing much more music in 2019.”  

“What I wanted to see happen in the world”

In an early 2019 Facebook post, she shared her first single, “Wise Up”. Her post gave insight into the inspiration behind the song. She explained how writing the first few lyrics to Wise Up was cathartic.  “To me, Wise Up was a musical manifestation of what I wanted to see happen in the world. From its inception, it was a cry, a belt, a growl of built-up frustration and a wish for people to open their eyes and wise up,” Raneem wrote. 

Her music style and technique give the listener a sense of home while consistently breaking away from that happy place without being too far from it for too long. She is effectively using a pop standard that was perfected by artists such as The Beatles. She also has a tight vocal melody, which tastefully breaks from her harmonies and riffing.  

At times, listening to the song feels like a violation of her inner thoughts. This voyeuristic appeal plays a minor role, though. Most important is her incorrigible attitude, which is palpable throughout her artistic expression in her songs and on social media.  

“I don’t care if you think I’m not good enough, or I won’t find success with music. I don’t care if you just don’t like me or the things I value,” Raneem wrote. “I wanted to call out the dazed people walking below and tell them to look up at the people sitting above. I wanted to call out the people sitting high up above it all and tell them to look down at the suffering they were causing below.”  

Raneem now plans to re-release “Wise Up”, a decision she made after the Rhodes College Curb institute asked her to be part of an album under their new label, New Arboretum Records. “I decided to pick Wise Up because I wasn’t ready to release new music and I feel like Wise Up definitely should receive some more love and light before the new stuff comes out,” Raneem said.      

“Female energy”

In her upcoming EP album, there are traces of her unapologetic impulse to speak up for what she believes and how she feels, no matter who’s listening. She is the executive producer, manager, songwriter, co-mixing and co-sound engineer on the project.

To help fund her work, she was awarded two school grants this summer, the Jane Hyde Award and Memphis Center Fellowship in the Arts.  The focus is female empowerment, a theme that carries through the writing, production, and execution of it all.      

She writes about her experiences as a young woman and the obstacles she’s had to overcome. This includes nostalgia, accepting the past and learning how to embrace the future. She confronts toxic relationships and the guilt and manipulation that drive people to their brink. She also focuses on the dynamic of wanting to be confident despite all the stereotypes about a strong, independent female.   

After Raneem, learned about and experienced the roadblocks women face in the music business, female empowerment became the forefront of her expression. “The more I have researched the more I have learned that historically women have been steered away from the realm of music production, songwriting, and engineering,” Raneem said. “They are encouraged to sing, dance, entertain. Sometimes I feel that dynamic when I talk to my male producer friends or male producers I meet; they’re surprised when I understand the production jargon and when I can discuss and analyze music like they do.”  

“I know that this experience is extremely universal for women in all different careers and walks of life. So that’s why I channeled this female energy into the album. I wanted to include that and give that voice a microphone.”   

“Confidence and carrying an unapologetic attitude in life”

She dedicates her work to all the women in her life who have given her the wisdom, strength, and faith to keep moving. “All the words I have written have been in some way or another influenced by conversations and experiences I have shared with those close to me,” Raneem said.

“Confidence and carrying an unapologetic attitude in life. Realizing you’re worth and what you deserve. Loving too hard. feeling manipulated and taken for granted. Embracing the way life balances itself with the good and the bad, accepting that nothing lasts forever and letting that acceptance guide you instead of breaking you.”   

She acknowledged how this struggle intensifies for those who belong to more than one marginalized group. “In my case, I identify as a cis Arab woman and I’m writing my songs with that lens and experience,” Raneem said. “But of course, the feelings and experiences I am talking about don’t just relate to cis women. and I hope that through my words that others can relate to what I am saying in their own way and through their own lens of perspective.”   

As part of this project, Raneem has assembled a band consisting of all women for her senior showcase, which will debut some of her new original music. She aimed to highlight female musicians on campus since an all-female live band is rarely seen at concerts.    

Raneem admits that she does not know where she will be in 10 years. It’s uncharacteristic of someone notorious for wanting to know how everything is going to plan out. “I am acknowledging my fear and anxieties over the future and recognizing the excitement that goes along with those emotions,” Raneem said. “It’s a little thrilling to not know exactly how everything is going to work out.”   

“The greatest stories are the ones you least expect and embrace wholeheartedly. Anything could happen. So, let it happen!”   

Rachel is a senior History major with a double minor in Psychology and Middle Eastern, Islamic & Jewish studies at Rhodes College. She loves writing investigative pieces and and talking about politics and current social issues. When Rachel isn't writing, she can be found attempting new Puerto Rican recipes her mom has tried to teach her, texting her grandma in bed while watching Grey's Anatomy, or trying to get her two cats to realize the value of friendship.